Re: hot metal - cold type - energy

  • michael babcock | interrobang
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26 5:27 AM

      >> Historic mounting system....pu-leeeeeeeeeeease....generally speaking.... My
      >> clients aren¹t asking me if I mount on a historic mounting system...and if
      >> they did...well...they don¹t...

      sorry bro i forgot to choose my words carefully. my buh.

      what i meant was "a dusty OLD mounting system that still functions with
      undiminished utility (and was paid for long ago)"...

      >> I have been printing again for the last 5 years, but ran a Kluge and a
      >> Windmill in Kansas City for 4 years just after high school, and offset for 6
      >> years. I don¹t know if I would consider myself new to the game. But because
      >> there was an 8 year gap between the last time I ran a press in Kansas City
      >> and the first time I ran one in Boston, I have had to relearn some things.
      >> That gap was spent working as a designer...and there is one thing I learned
      >> when designing... whatever tools are available should be explored and
      >> possibly used. Polymer has helped me bridge that gap. For some, the
      >> melodramatic ³must do it old world² thing works. However, the limits of a
      >> client¹s budget are enough to deal with...I don¹t need the headaches and
      >> delays of sticking to dogma. When my client is standing next to me and I¹m
      >> pulling a proof, I¹m not concerned that the proof came form lead or
      >> polymer...I just want to make them happy enough to signoff so I can get them
      >> out of my studio...

      dogma. harhar. whatever dude. i'm happy plastic plates allow you to get the
      job done. so yes, use the tools available. that said, some tools are better
      some times. setting new type out of a case is easy, and quick for ephemera.
      and tooling up to hand-set is a one time cost. so if you wanna talk about
      budget, budget in your consumables and the cost of your plate maker.

      BUT perhaps more to my original point, type is reusable.

      when the day is done and they lower you in a hole, how much energy will you
      have burned needlessly? hot metal type has a fairly short trail of energy
      _captured_ in it that can be reused again and again. computers, film negs,
      and polymer plates have gigantic manufactory processes behind them leading
      to the unexposed plates in your hand, then you put additional energy in to
      burn the plates, and then you... throw them away along with the film. the
      cycle breaks. big time. wear type out and it can be melted down and turned
      back into type. a fairly short, small scale, closed cycle.

      point: how much boundless _human_ energy can you inject into a process? do
      you burn poly plates and put them on an automatic press and walk away to get
      a cup of coffee, or do you hand set and stand at the press for all 200
      impressions?

      hey, i think about shite like that. it's why i ride my bike year-round. i
      wanna leave a legacy other than just spent hydrocarbons. there's some dogma.

      >> and as for the printing quality of polymer vs. lead...If you¹re printing
      >> correctly, there is very little difference between lead and polymer...in fact
      >> the only difference I have found is in how the printer chooses to accept the
      >> final piece. The arrogance of thinking that polymer is somehow inferior to
      >> lead just doesn¹t fly anymore. Ink, paper, impression.

      chill. i never said polymer was inferior. i said the digital source can tend
      to be. do a side by side comparison of 54pt foundry Palatino and the hack
      digital version Adobe issued. you'll ask Adobe for your money back. Herr
      Zapf should be pissed, but i'm sure he realizes the concessions that must be
      made to address the limitations of the methods of storage and output.

      >> lead just seems too impractical for a majority of projects...especially when
      >> we are trying to make a living with our presses. Having an A&V platemaker
      >> makes it easy for me to offer my clients flexibility and an extra creative
      >> inch they may not have with sticking to lead. I have a significant amount of
      >> wedding invitation work in-house...polymer makes it happen. With the current
      >> letterpress craze...polymer seems like the practical way to meet demand...and
      >> still provide a high level of quality printing...

      you make your choices. if a job comes in that requires plates, i go that
      route. i'm doing some single covers for Hydra Head records. Turner designed
      the stuff, so it goes to plate. if i'm designing something traditional and
      short on content like a wedding invite, i like to hand set. you could
      probably stand at a case and hand set a wedding invite in more or less the
      same time as it would take to RIP film and expose, scrub out and harden
      poly.

      >> I¹m getting a nose bleed up here on my soap box...time to step down...
      >>
      >> Cheers,
      >> Bryan

      opinions are great. i have a few. like: beer is good. agreed?

      --
      m | interrobang