Production Presses

  • ausart1938
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 26, 2003
      Yes at our Museum at Gulgong NSW Australia we have a Heidelberg
      Platen 10x15 1949 vintage and a Miehle Vertical V50.
      We also have an Albion Hand press, Furnival Treadle Platen, Adana,
      Chandler and Price 5x8 table top Platen plus a 12x18 Chandler and
      Price and a 15x20 stop cylinder Wharfedale hand fed.
      Last year we did a 92 page Programme for our local show 2 pages at a
      time and 500 copies 46 formes on the Heidelberg plus the cover was
      done on the 12x18 Chandler and Price.
      I was glad we had the Heidelberg running and did not have to hand feed
      the whole job. This year we hope to have the Vertical running and
      work 4 page formes. In the days when I worked full time in the trade
      we would have worked a job like this as 16 page formes, we were
      offered a 20x30 automatic flatbed Miehle but alas no room for it.
      If you are only doing small quantities a hand fed press is OK but it's
      no fun hand feeding large quntities.
      Our programme was set on a C3 Intertype 1928 and a Ludlow. We used
      stock blocks that we have been given, over 100 galleys of them.
      Plus this year I will get some polymer blocks made as we have found a
      good supplier and his blocks are good. Arthur Johnson.
    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 26, 2003
        This talk about what it takes (on all levels) to get involved with
        letterpress is fascinating, if a bit sobering. I have to say I admire Jan's
        comebacks in the midst of this barrage of "wake up and smell the coffee"
        talk. What intrigues me about all this is how it relates to my current book
        project, "A Letterpress Odyssey," (I'm trying to figure out a way to get
        some of this talk into the book (names excluded, of course); would any of
        you mind ??) which is about a few representative samples of those of us who
        have followed our bliss to letterpress, despite all the logic to the
        contrary. As Gray Zeitz, one of our subjects and the owner of Larkspur Press
        in Kentucky, put it, "letterpress is addicting." We do it because, as most
        of us would admit in our heart of hearts, this is what we were put on the
        earth to do. (I say the same thing about book arts, another of the least
        lucrative art forms...) I have trouble explaining my calling to my non-
        printer friends. ("Let's see, you were put on the earth to set type letter
        by letter because you did WHAT in a previous lifetime?")

        Jan, all this feels like cold water being thrown in your face, but the truth
        is that we all understand the bug that you have, and we support you. Instead
        of more cold water, I have the best idea yet: I'll move to Santa Barbara and
        set up shop with you! I'll bring the Vandercooks if you bring the
        Heidelberg! Maybe we won't do greeting cards, if that market is saturated
        and requires swimming with the sharks. Maybe we'll do explore other untapped
        markets (I won't give away all my secrets right now...) Maybe we'll get a
        photocopier and put up a sign that says "Kinkos" in front and keep this
        stuff in the back room...

        Katie

        Katie Harper
        Ars Brevis Press
        Cincinnati, OH
        513-233-9588
        http://www.arsbrevispress.com
      • Jan Ziegler
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 26, 2003
          Katie, great idea, lets set up shop here in SB and we
          can swim with the dolphins, they are suppose to be
          good shark repellent.

          But seriously, I think I will take everyone's advice:
          I will call it a hobby, like Mark says, and just print
          for awhile, have fun, and see what comes of it. I will
          probably buy a Vandercook, as Gerald says, I will go
          to the show in New York next May to see what others
          are doing. And by the way James, thanks for explaining
          price point, I suspected it was the price the market
          will bear. And I wondered if 50% discount is what
          wholesalers want.

          The part of learning the letterpress I need to slow
          down on is the business end. That and purchasing a
          press that is too big and scary to be fun anymore.

          I'm not dampened, I'm inspired, and I feel better
          about my level of committment. Thank you for all of
          your input. I'm really glad I asked. Plus I enjoyed
          our philosophy 101 class. Its good to get back to the
          basics sometimes. I hope Katie can use some of it in
          her book. Now I have to get back to work on my danged
          computer and make some money so I can afford my new
          hobby. --Jan

          Katie wrote:
          > > Jan, all this feels like cold water being thrown
          in
          > your face, but the truth
          > is that we all understand the bug that you have, and
          > we support you. Instead
          > of more cold water, I have the best idea yet: I'll
          > move to Santa Barbara and
          > set up shop with you! I'll bring the Vandercooks if
          > you bring the
          > Heidelberg! Maybe we won't do greeting cards, if
          > that market is saturated
          > and requires swimming with the sharks. Maybe we'll
          > do explore other untapped
          > markets (I won't give away all my secrets right
          > now...) Maybe we'll get a
          > photocopier and put up a sign that says "Kinkos" in
          > front and keep this
          > stuff in the back room...
          >
          > Katie
          >

          > Katie Harper
          > Ars Brevis Press
          > Cincinnati, OH
          > 513-233-9588
          > http://www.arsbrevispress.com

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • The Indian Hill Press
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 26, 2003
            >Jan, all this feels like cold water being thrown in your face, but the truth
            >is that we all understand the bug that you have, and we support you.

            With Independence Day weekend almost upon us, may I remind all
            concerned that a squirt bottle of cold water is an indispensable
            accessory to anyone grilling with wood chips or charcoal? An
            occasional spritz helps control overheating, allows your fuel to last
            longer, and yields a smoky, more flavorful meal.

            In advising caution, James and Fritz and I are only trying to make
            your letterpress experience as succulent as possible.

            Dan Waters
            Indian Hill Press
          • thronobulx@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 26, 2003
              Jan: The retailers really want a 100% discount, but I wouldn't suggest it.
              James