Risca Type

  • michael babcock | interrobang
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 9, 2003
      list,

      I've been contacted by a gentleman in Wales who apparently has some NOS
      Risca cast type available. I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this now
      defunct Welsh foundry. I suspect it was a Monotype foundry, as he tells me
      he has some "Glint" ornaments available. these were Monotype as I recall.

      any info would be appreciated.

      --
      best, m | interrobang
    • berliner
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9, 2003
        Michael:
        A long time ago I was luck enough to visit Riscatype in Wales. It was
        managed by a very strict retired military man, and was the cleanest shop I
        ever saw. Their type was Monotype, and beautifully done. They even cast
        Palace Script on a slanting body. It was the finest and best operated shop I
        have ever seen. Harold Berliner
      • Andrew Brown
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 2003
          >I've been contacted by a gentleman in Wales who apparently has some NOS
          >Risca cast type available. I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this now
          >defunct Welsh foundry. I suspect it was a Monotype foundry, as he tells me
          >he has some "Glint" ornaments available. these were Monotype as I recall.

          I used to buy from them, and still have their catalogue. I'll see
          what information it contains, if any, when I can dig it out.

          AB
        • Andrew Brown
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 11, 2003
            As Harold Berliner has pointed out, Riscatype was a Monotype shop. It
            was owned by Yendall & Co. Ltd and was apparently established in
            1870. The factory was at Risca in Monmouthshire and the London office
            in Red Lion Court off Fleet Street from 1951 to 1980. The specimen
            book I have runs to 256 pages, covers some 230 faces and was probably
            produced in the 1960s.

            AB
          • Andrew Brown