Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Polymer toxicity?

  • Mark Attwood
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 4, 2001
      Hi Gerald,

      Thanks very much for the info. It is good to know that no other manufacturer
      makes any mention of toxicity. It is just difficult to get any info on this
      in South Africa, so it is great to be able to discuss this sort of thing on
      this list.

      Those BASF plates really do stink. It's the reason I changed to the Jet
      plates. The BASF are easier to hand wash because you can see the red
      material more easily than the transparent Jet material, and know when to
      stop washing, but I would rather use the trickier ones than deal with the
      smell.

      regards,
      Mark.

      Mark Attwood

      The Artists' Press
      Box 623
      Newtown
      2113
      South Africa

      Tel. +27 11 836 5474
      fax. +27 11 836 6858
      mark@...

      ----------

    • Mark Attwood
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 4, 2001
        Hi Frank,

        I have recently started using surgical latex gloves for the washout. they
        are thin enough for me to be able to still "feel" the slimy or squeaky
        nature of the plate and to know when I get down to the metal.

        hope this helps,
        Mark.
        in South Africa

        Frank wrote:

        > Hello Tom
        > I seem to be sensitive to the water after washout, my skin can become very
        > chapped, so always wear vinyl gloves. I do the same for every press wash
        > up. I haven't noticed much fumes associated with the plate material I use
        > the most.
        >
        > Frank
        > in California
        >

        > Mark Attwood wrote:
        >

        >> Dear Polymer Fundis,
        >>
        >> I hand washout my polymer plates using a large brush, and put my hand
        >> into
        >> the water while doing this to turn the plate every so often for even
        >> washout.
        >>
        >> I wondered if anyone knows if there is any health risk attached to this,
        >> or
        >> possible fumes from the plates?
        >>

        >> Mark Attwood.
        >>

        >> South Africa
        >> mark@...
        >>

        >> P.S. Fundi is a Zulu word meaning "someone who really knows"
        >>
        >> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > [Click Here!]

      • Harold Kyle
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 5, 2001
          >It is good to know that no other manufacturer
          >makes any mention of toxicity.

          I suspect that no manufacturer _doesn't_ make a mention of toxicity.
          If they didn't, they would be very vulnerable to lawsuits related to
          a random allergic reaction. This information isn't printed on the
          back of each plate, of course, but on MSDSs. I don't have time to
          quote any of the MSDSs I have laying around--electrician's about to
          pull my plug--but you might check yours to see if it lists "Health
          Hazard Data." Mine targets "acrylate sensitive persons"...?

          Your plates may be manufactured differently than the ones we're
          talking about on the list. If you have a fax machine, request an MSDS
          for the plate you're using for information on its toxicity. If you
          develop a bad reaction because of contact with polymer plates,
          ignorance is no defense.

          Harold
        • Mark Attwood
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 7, 2001
            Harold wrote:

            > request an MSDS> for the plate you're using for information on its toxicity.

            Thanks Harold.

            Mark Attwood
            mark@...