Re: [PPLetterpress] Imprimeries Clandestines

  • Bruce Kennett Studio
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2003
      wow! thanks for putting these up for all of us to see. fine images in
      their own right, too. and you're right about number two showing the
      risk.

      for me this brought back a very powerful memory.

      in april 1977 after i had finished my year of studying book design
      and calligraphy in austria with neugebauer, i came home via paris,
      where i stayed for a month with a friend. that year he'd befriended a
      concert pianist who had subsequently gone on tour and loaned his loft
      space to my friend, so we had marvelous digs for the month i was
      there (this was the left bank, in the rue des plantes).

      my friend krishna was going to be married that summer, back home in
      india -- a very traditional wedding with the actual ceremony in the
      middle of the night at an astrologically-arrived-at auspicious
      moment, several days of feasts with the food served on banana leaves,
      etc. i was not going to be able to attend the wedding, but at least i
      could participate in another way. so i sat at his kitchen table and
      lettered their wedding invitation. i had my own stick ink and pens
      with me, so paper was all i needed, and we found some blue-gridded
      paper at a nearby stationer's. then we set out to find a printer.

      we went into three or four shops in the neighborhood and found all of
      them to be chaotic, indifferent, messy. then the next one we entered
      was immediately obvious as The One. very busy, but everything clear
      and organized. clean floors, lifts of paper well stacked and cared
      for, type banks and stones orderly. so we began talking to the
      proprietor about krishna's job and got more and more firendly with
      himn as time went by, and we went back to okay the proof he'd pulled
      from the cut, etc.

      in time we learned that he'd helped out in the imprimeries
      clandestines as a teenager. his father had been a prime mover in all
      the printing activities. he mentioned, as gerald did in his post,
      that a number of the printers had been executed by the nazis. but he
      also said they'd been extremely clever in choosing their locations --
      typically, the presses were smashed and type dumped on the floor but
      no was one arrested. whenever this happened, they'd simply reorganize
      and find a new location. i was very impressed by his descriptions of
      their quiet and consistent dedication to this. if i recall correctly,
      this man's name was marcel cornu. he did a magnificent job printing
      krishna's invitations, too.

      i felt very privileged to have been in his presence, as he was both a
      consummate craftsman and also a living representative of a time that
      (to me at least) displayed through direct action a lot more courage
      than the sword-rattling rhetoric we have heard in recent press
      conferences. (i apologise for this politicized sentence here, but i
      believe strongly that the members of the french résistance were as
      courageous as anyone, anywhere, anytime.)

      bruce
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2003
        Bruce

        Thanks for your note, and I agree entirely (not to abuse both mathematics and the language by saying 1000%) with your comments about the French résistance.

        Any single one of them had more courage and honor than an oil tanker full of right-wing talking heads, or pretend presidents.

        http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/5278/page9.html

        Lovely work, by the way! (www.brucekennettstudio.com)

        I'm a long time fan of Rudolf Koch, who was a major inspiration, of course, for Prof. Neugebauer.

        PF

        Peter Fraterdeus |+ * + * + http://www.alphabets.com
        http://www.fraterdeus.com |* + * + Type and Lettering Design!

        http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting < * > Mac OS X
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2003
          Peter

          It's one thing to admire and respect the courage and honor of these men and
          women from the distance of time, it's another thing altogether to somehow associate that with them in ourselves. At least not until we ourselves are put to the similar test. And then, it would be very much a private thing.

          Gerald

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@d...>