Re: cleaning washout unit

    Message 1 of 35 , May 14 11:24 PM
      Quite interesting the difference between different manufacturer's
      suggestions!!!

      The Anderson & Vreeland manual suggests that the bath be drained
      everyday and the brushes be cleaned in a new bath of fresh water. My
      rep told me to not leave the brushes sit in water over periods of time
      when not in use. I drain, refill, drain, and let dry every night. It
      also suggests a cup of distilled vinegar be added to the bath with
      every bath renewal. There was some discussion here previously
      concerning the need for a slight acidity to the bath to ensure proper
      processing. This seems to be true, but could depend upon how alkaline
      the water source is.

      A&V also recommended an occasional treatment with diluted muratic acid
      to clean the tank of deposits and rust. I do this very irregularly.
      Bit scary though. The brushes and tank feel slimey afterwards and I
      immediately run a number of baths through to clean the stuff out. The
      manual does caution against pouring the acid addition directly onto
      the brushes!

      In regard to alteration of the brush pattern, my rep said never close
      the cover of the machine when not in operation as the plate will sit
      on the brushes. I never do, and they seem to have never gotten tangled
      or matted, and I've had this machine since 1995.

      Any smell you get from the bath is not good. This is coming from
      fungus and bacteria. You want to prevent this stuff from getting a
      foothold.

      Gerald

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Harold Kyle
      Message 35 of 35 , May 15 4:51 AM
        On 5/15/03 2:24 AM, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...> wrote:
        > Quite interesting the difference between different manufacturer's
        > suggestions!!!

        Yes. We're told yes to water overnight, no to vinegar, yes to daily changes
        of water, yes to 1 cup of bleach when on vacation (to avoid algae), and yes
        to Cascade dishwashing detergent monthly (to clean brush). I've never seen
        anything in print, though this has worked well for us. Our plates process
        crisply in the untreated waters of Lake Skaneateles without any acids added.

        Harold

        Boxcar Press
        640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
        315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax