Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Stochastic Screens

  • Harold Kyle
    Message 1 of 3 , May 12, 2003
      On 5/11/03 5:22 AM, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...> wrote:
      > used "high-resolution stochiastic screens from polymer plates" to
      > print some collages (letterpress) for his book _Silo_.
      > Hopefully, Harold will chime in here,

      Sorry that I was out of town and unable to respond. I was experimenting two
      years ago with stochiastics and had mixed results. I used Jim's method of
      creating a diffusion dither after adjusting images' curves while in the
      grayscale color mode. Please keep in mind I was not attempting color
      work--only black ink. I was trying to make the dot disappear and make the
      image seem continuous. I'm late to this thread--has anyone has mentioned the
      book that got me started?
      http://www.danburkholder.com/Pages/main_pages/book_info_main_page1.htm
      It deals with alt photo and not letterpress.

      Back to the Silo book...by "high-res" I mean that I used grayscale images of
      1200dpi dithered to bitmaps of 1200dpi. This naturally caused severe hot
      spots and ink gain, and I made many tests of different curves before
      settling on:
      Input-Output:
      0-0
      20-9
      50-18
      70-25
      90-45
      95-60
      100-100
      This looks wacky on screen but printed close to target in several instances.
      I imagine that different papers and inks would require different curves. If
      I had more time to test each image I might have been more successful. The
      biggest problem was keeping a broad tonal range in each image--avoiding hot
      spots on the one hand and dark, murky images on the other. I would never try
      this in color--one channel was difficult enough. Be sure to test a small
      segment first!

      Wish I had more time to experiment with this nowadays...

      Hope this helps...???

      Harold

      Boxcar Press
      640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210