Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Instant Stochastic Screens

  • L.A. Book Arts, Inc
    Message 1 of 5 , May 12, 2003
      In Offset you print with dots and they can overlap to create a color,
      letterpress inks are usually heavier pigmented. I've just made a proof
      over the weekend with a colour separated image, 4 plates, 200
      line-screen rip stochastic. The Film was output on a creo image-setter,
      regular Film is about 18 per sheet for a set of 4 in 12 x 14 . this set
      was 108 and a fedex shipping charge at total 14.12.
      as we printed on a Vandercook sp. 20 on Rives 88.
      Setup was with Bacher Micro registration quoins and that allows me
      nicely to register the 4 plates.
      As being a stunning sheet in itself, it is different from offset as the
      pigment is less translucent and the paper not coated. The sheets went
      to a silkscreener to finish up.
      It doesn't have the depth of offset and the Image looks more flat like
      I would see it in offset.
      There is potential here and it invites to explore.
      But I don't mind mixing techniques to create each in their own instead
      of trying to imitate.
      charles

      As I get my digital back or can access a scanner here, i post a link.
      On Monday, May 12, 2003, at 06:12 US/Pacific, Katie Harper wrote:

      > Thanks for the example, Steve, and to others who have chimed in on this
      > subject. I should clarify:
      >
      > My original inquiry about stochastic screening had to do with four
      > color
      > work, and the possibilities for making it better on letterpress. The
      > methods
      > listed about using filters in Photoshop, etc., show great potential for
      > special effects (ie, imitating aquatint or mezzotint or graininess in
      > color
      > film) but are not what I was looking for.
      >
      > The results I have seen in offset rival the finest halftones, and I was
      > hoping that we letterpress printers might be able to utilize this
      > somehow,
      > but it could well be that a true stochastic screen is something that
      > requires the technology of offset to work.
      >
      > Katie Harper
      >
      > on 5/12/03 2:31 AM, Steve Jackman at santaj672@... wrote:
      >
      > >> InkPotJim@a... wrote:
      > >> It's just a matter of randomness vs. order / frequency / angle,
      > >> right?. Nothing more, nothing  less (without getting too
      > >> technical).
      > >>
      > >> Well, photoshop can do that ...
      > >
      > > Thanks Jim, for finally getting to what I think was probably the
      > > meat of Katie's original question!  A letterpress printer isn't that
      > > concerned with how difficult and expensive it is to produce a fine
      > > line stochastic screen for offset.  Rather, we want to know how to
      > > produce better detail than a standard halftone screen from a low
      > > (relative to offset) lpi screen.
      > >
      > > For anyone who's interested, I generated an example using
      > > Jim's technique at 72 dpi and posted it at:
      > >
      > > http://home.southwind.net/~raingrdn/
      > >
      > > The detail is certainly  impressive, considering what a standard
      > > halftone at that dot pitch would look like.
      > >
      > > Regards and a tip of the stochastic hat to Jim,
      > > Steve
      > >

      > >  To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
      > > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > >  Encountering problems? contact:
      > > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
      > >  To unsubscribe: