Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Polymer toxicity?

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 4, 2001
      Dear Mark

      Actually, I don't think they are saying they are toxic. Note, no other
      manufacturer actually has come out with such a statement, far as I can tell.
      Basically, and I suspect this is true, they are saying some people might be
      "sensitive" or react to continued exposure.

      I mentioned in a recent post how I thought BASF plates "stunk." They smell
      awful. And they crud up the washout unit. I'm guessing there was a very subtle
      transition between the "older technology" photopolymer and present-day
      photopolymer (both Miraclon and BASF's nyloprint may be a bit "older" than say
      the later Japanese developments) and my suspicions are that early nyloprint
      material and most of Miraclon material may be of transition formulation.
      Especially Miraclon, since it is so associated with liquid photopolymer
      applications and techniques and the "older" chemical washout processes.
      For example, Tim's trick with the talcum powder, was, at one time, almost a
      requirement but this is now never mentioned in industrial reports on sheet
      polymer processing, though often is when referring to liguid photopolymer.

      Use the gloves, please. If you are hand-washing this stuff, use gloves. Also,
      BASF does recommend that you throw away those acetate cover sheets once they
      are pulled off the raw material, and that you do not use them for any other
      purpose.

      It would seem quite clear that finished material poses no threat, but that high
      concentrations of raw material suspended in the wash are best avoided.

      Gerald

      Mark Attwood wrote:

      > Hi Gerald,
      >
      > So reading between the lines BASF are saying that the washout solution may
      > be toxic. I have found that the bASF plates give off a destinct odour which
      > makes me feel a bit queezy and headachey, whereas the Jet brand does not.
      >
      > I will use gloves from now on when doing washout by hand.
      >
      > The BASF report says nothing about the fumes. Do you have any idea of that?
      >
      > Regards,
      > Mark.
      >
      > Mark Attwood
      >
      > The Artists' Press
      > Box 623
      > Newtown
      > 2113
      > South Africa
    • Frank Cabral
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 4, 2001
        Hello Tom
        I seem to be sensitive to the water after washout, my skin can become very
        chapped, so always wear vinyl gloves. I do the same for every press wash
        up. I haven't noticed much fumes associated with the plate material I use
        the most.

        Frank
        in California

        Mark Attwood wrote:

        > Dear Polymer Fundis,
        >
        > I hand washout my polymer plates using a large brush, and put my hand
        > into
        > the water while doing this to turn the plate every so often for even
        > washout.
        >
        > I wondered if anyone knows if there is any health risk attached to this,
        > or
        > possible fumes from the plates?
        >

        > Mark Attwood.
        >

        > South Africa
        > mark@...
        >

        > P.S. Fundi is a Zulu word meaning "someone who really knows"
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        [Click Here!]

      • edinman
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2001
          I can't imagine polymer plates being particularly hazardous compared to all
          the other chemicals used in printing.
          I am particularly sensitive to photo developers containing metol--but
          polymer has never bothered me in the least. I suppose if you are really
          concernd about this there would certainly be no harm in wearing rubber
          gloves and installing adequate ventilation.
          Ed
        • Mark Attwood
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2001
            Hi Gerald,

            Thanks very much for the info. It is good to know that no other manufacturer
            makes any mention of toxicity. It is just difficult to get any info on this
            in South Africa, so it is great to be able to discuss this sort of thing on
            this list.

            Those BASF plates really do stink. It's the reason I changed to the Jet
            plates. The BASF are easier to hand wash because you can see the red
            material more easily than the transparent Jet material, and know when to
            stop washing, but I would rather use the trickier ones than deal with the
            smell.

            regards,
            Mark.

            Mark Attwood

            The Artists' Press
            Box 623
            Newtown
            2113
            South Africa

            Tel. +27 11 836 5474
            fax. +27 11 836 6858
            mark@...

            ----------

          • Mark Attwood
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2001
              Hi Frank,

              I have recently started using surgical latex gloves for the washout. they
              are thin enough for me to be able to still "feel" the slimy or squeaky
              nature of the plate and to know when I get down to the metal.

              hope this helps,
              Mark.
              in South Africa

              Frank wrote:

              > Hello Tom
              > I seem to be sensitive to the water after washout, my skin can become very
              > chapped, so always wear vinyl gloves. I do the same for every press wash
              > up. I haven't noticed much fumes associated with the plate material I use
              > the most.
              >
              > Frank
              > in California
              >

              > Mark Attwood wrote:
              >

              >> Dear Polymer Fundis,
              >>
              >> I hand washout my polymer plates using a large brush, and put my hand
              >> into
              >> the water while doing this to turn the plate every so often for even
              >> washout.
              >>
              >> I wondered if anyone knows if there is any health risk attached to this,
              >> or
              >> possible fumes from the plates?
              >>

              >> Mark Attwood.
              >>

              >> South Africa
              >> mark@...
              >>

              >> P.S. Fundi is a Zulu word meaning "someone who really knows"
              >>
              >> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              > [Click Here!]

            • Harold Kyle
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 5, 2001
                >It is good to know that no other manufacturer
                >makes any mention of toxicity.

                I suspect that no manufacturer _doesn't_ make a mention of toxicity.
                If they didn't, they would be very vulnerable to lawsuits related to
                a random allergic reaction. This information isn't printed on the
                back of each plate, of course, but on MSDSs. I don't have time to
                quote any of the MSDSs I have laying around--electrician's about to
                pull my plug--but you might check yours to see if it lists "Health
                Hazard Data." Mine targets "acrylate sensitive persons"...?

                Your plates may be manufactured differently than the ones we're
                talking about on the list. If you have a fax machine, request an MSDS
                for the plate you're using for information on its toxicity. If you
                develop a bad reaction because of contact with polymer plates,
                ignorance is no defense.

                Harold
              • Mark Attwood
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 7, 2001
                  Harold wrote:

                  > request an MSDS> for the plate you're using for information on its toxicity.

                  Thanks Harold.

                  Mark Attwood
                  mark@...