Re: preserving polymer

    Message 1 of 35 , May 7, 2003
      Harold

      This is good. I am wondering now, after Dan mentioned that the imaging
      was thicker, if, instead of an immediate bath, the photopolymer was
      allow to re-hydrate over a prolonged period, it may spring back to
      life without ill-effect. Maybe if it was put in a damp box for a few
      days. I have an old buckled plastic-backed plate here and next time I
      dampen paper I'll stick it in the box and see what happens.

      All best

      Gerald

      > Yes, according to our reps. Photopolymer acts like a sponge,
      absorbing and
      > releasing moisuture as the atmosphere changes. This makes apparent
      the need
      > for constant humidity in the pressroom and plate storage (with sealed
      > ziplock bags). Any tension you might notice in a plastic backed plate
      > results from the plate not being stored properly. The tension is
      created by
      > the photopolymer buckling or swelling due to atmospheric changes or
      > excessive hardening. The same tension exists on a steel backed
      plate. When
      > buckled or swollen, the plates can cause ink transfer problems.
      >
      > Hope this helps,
      > Harold
      >
      > ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
      > Boxcar Press
      > Fine Printing and Binding ~ Digital Letterpress Supplies
      > 640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
      > 315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
      > www.boxcarpress.com
      > ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    • Harold Kyle
      Message 35 of 35 , May 15, 2003
        On 5/15/03 2:24 AM, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...> wrote:
        > Quite interesting the difference between different manufacturer's
        > suggestions!!!

        Yes. We're told yes to water overnight, no to vinegar, yes to daily changes
        of water, yes to 1 cup of bleach when on vacation (to avoid algae), and yes
        to Cascade dishwashing detergent monthly (to clean brush). I've never seen
        anything in print, though this has worked well for us. Our plates process
        crisply in the untreated waters of Lake Skaneateles without any acids added.

        Harold

        Boxcar Press