Re: Polymer toxicity?

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2001
      Dear Mark and fundis

      This is the only printed report I have ever found on safety
      precautions. I'll put this in Files also. This is an industry report
      put out by BASF. A couple of considerations. First, this is
      essentially a disclaimer. Second, this is assuming industrial
      practices; heavy workload; high concentration of waste material in the
      washout, etc. Brackets are mine and indicate word deletion, insertion
      out of sequence, word substitution]

      Gerald

      Work manual: Water-washable metal- and plastic-base [] plates for
      letterpress...

      As a basic rule, chemical substances of too high a concentration must
      be prevented from prolonged contact with skin, eyes, and mucous
      membranes. This also applies to certain substances contained in the
      unexposed [photopolymer] plate and to the wash-out liquid, in which
      these substances may occur up to a max. concentration of 2.0 per cent
      by weight.

      [The wash-out liquid is free of heavy metals and chlorinated
      hydrocarbons. It contains only carbon in organic compounds. It can be
      discharged into municipal sewage systems without any problems; no
      solid matter will precipitate. The constituents of the waste water are
      biologically degradable.]

      Extensive toxicological research has shown that after short-term
      contact no consequences were observed. Prolonged contact, however, can
      cause sensitive persons to develop rashes or swellings if the
      following safety measures are not observed. Handling the print-ready
      plates does not require any special safety precautions.

      Direct skin contact with unexposed plates and the wash-out liquid must
      be avoided by wearing appropriate working clothes (protective gloves,
      overalls, protective goggles if necessary). Any garments becoming wet
      must be changed. Skin that has come into contact with any media must
      be washed with large quantities of soap and water. As a prophylactic
      measure, using a protective skin cream is advisable in any case. If
      the handling of plates and processing equipment leads to any soiling
      of the working environment, such traces must be removed. Direct
      exposure to the eyes to UV light must be avoided.
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 4, 2001
        Dear Mark

        Actually, I don't think they are saying they are toxic. Note, no other
        manufacturer actually has come out with such a statement, far as I can tell.
        Basically, and I suspect this is true, they are saying some people might be
        "sensitive" or react to continued exposure.

        I mentioned in a recent post how I thought BASF plates "stunk." They smell
        awful. And they crud up the washout unit. I'm guessing there was a very subtle
        transition between the "older technology" photopolymer and present-day
        photopolymer (both Miraclon and BASF's nyloprint may be a bit "older" than say
        the later Japanese developments) and my suspicions are that early nyloprint
        material and most of Miraclon material may be of transition formulation.
        Especially Miraclon, since it is so associated with liquid photopolymer
        applications and techniques and the "older" chemical washout processes.
        For example, Tim's trick with the talcum powder, was, at one time, almost a
        requirement but this is now never mentioned in industrial reports on sheet
        polymer processing, though often is when referring to liguid photopolymer.

        Use the gloves, please. If you are hand-washing this stuff, use gloves. Also,
        BASF does recommend that you throw away those acetate cover sheets once they
        are pulled off the raw material, and that you do not use them for any other
        purpose.

        It would seem quite clear that finished material poses no threat, but that high
        concentrations of raw material suspended in the wash are best avoided.

        Gerald

        Mark Attwood wrote:

        > Hi Gerald,
        >
        > So reading between the lines BASF are saying that the washout solution may
        > be toxic. I have found that the bASF plates give off a destinct odour which
        > makes me feel a bit queezy and headachey, whereas the Jet brand does not.
        >
        > I will use gloves from now on when doing washout by hand.
        >
        > The BASF report says nothing about the fumes. Do you have any idea of that?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Mark.
        >
        > Mark Attwood
        >
        > The Artists' Press
        > Box 623
        > Newtown
        > 2113
        > South Africa
      • Mark Attwood
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2001
          Hi Gerald,

          So reading between the lines BASF are saying that the washout solution may
          be toxic. I have found that the bASF plates give off a destinct odour which
          makes me feel a bit queezy and headachey, whereas the Jet brand does not.

          I will use gloves from now on when doing washout by hand.

          The BASF report says nothing about the fumes. Do you have any idea of that?

          Regards,
          Mark.

          Mark Attwood

          The Artists' Press
          Box 623
          Newtown
          2113
          South Africa

          Tel. +27 11 836 5474
          fax. +27 11 836 6858
          mark@...

          ----------
          >From: "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...>
          >To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: Polymer toxicity?
          >Date: Thu, Oct 4, 2001, 1:58 am
          >

          > Dear Mark and fundis
          >
          > This is the only printed report I have ever found on safety
          > precautions. I'll put this in Files also. This is an industry report
          > put out by BASF. A couple of considerations. First, this is
          > essentially a disclaimer. Second, this is assuming industrial
          > practices; heavy workload; high concentration of waste material in the
          > washout, etc. Brackets are mine and indicate word deletion, insertion
          > out of sequence, word substitution]
          >
          > Gerald
          >

          > Work manual: Water-washable metal- and plastic-base [] plates for
          > letterpress...
          >
          > As a basic rule, chemical substances of too high a concentration must
          > be prevented from prolonged contact with skin, eyes, and mucous
          > membranes. This also applies to certain substances contained in the
          > unexposed [photopolymer] plate and to the wash-out liquid, in which
          > these substances may occur up to a max. concentration of 2.0 per cent
          > by weight.
          >
          > [The wash-out liquid is free of heavy metals and chlorinated
          > hydrocarbons. It contains only carbon in organic compounds. It can be
          > discharged into municipal sewage systems without any problems; no
          > solid matter will precipitate. The constituents of the waste water are
          > biologically degradable.]
          >
          > Extensive toxicological research has shown that after short-term
          > contact no consequences were observed. Prolonged contact, however, can
          > cause sensitive persons to develop rashes or swellings if the
          > following safety measures are not observed. Handling the print-ready
          > plates does not require any special safety precautions.
          >
          > Direct skin contact with unexposed plates and the wash-out liquid must
          > be avoided by wearing appropriate working clothes (protective gloves,
          > overalls, protective goggles if necessary). Any garments becoming wet
          > must be changed. Skin that has come into contact with any media must
          > be washed with large quantities of soap and water. As a prophylactic
          > measure, using a protective skin cream is advisable in any case. If
          > the handling of plates and processing equipment leads to any soiling
          > of the working environment, such traces must be removed. Direct
          > exposure to the eyes to UV light must be avoided.

        • Frank Cabral
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2001
            Hello Tom
            I seem to be sensitive to the water after washout, my skin can become very
            chapped, so always wear vinyl gloves. I do the same for every press wash
            up. I haven't noticed much fumes associated with the plate material I use
            the most.

            Frank
            in California

            Mark Attwood wrote:

            > Dear Polymer Fundis,
            >
            > I hand washout my polymer plates using a large brush, and put my hand
            > into
            > the water while doing this to turn the plate every so often for even
            > washout.
            >
            > I wondered if anyone knows if there is any health risk attached to this,
            > or
            > possible fumes from the plates?
            >

            > Mark Attwood.
            >

            > South Africa
            > mark@...
            >

            > P.S. Fundi is a Zulu word meaning "someone who really knows"
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            [Click Here!]

          • edinman
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2001
              I can't imagine polymer plates being particularly hazardous compared to all
              the other chemicals used in printing.
              I am particularly sensitive to photo developers containing metol--but
              polymer has never bothered me in the least. I suppose if you are really
              concernd about this there would certainly be no harm in wearing rubber
              gloves and installing adequate ventilation.
              Ed
            • Mark Attwood
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2001
                Hi Gerald,

                Thanks very much for the info. It is good to know that no other manufacturer
                makes any mention of toxicity. It is just difficult to get any info on this
                in South Africa, so it is great to be able to discuss this sort of thing on
                this list.

                Those BASF plates really do stink. It's the reason I changed to the Jet
                plates. The BASF are easier to hand wash because you can see the red
                material more easily than the transparent Jet material, and know when to
                stop washing, but I would rather use the trickier ones than deal with the
                smell.

                regards,
                Mark.

                Mark Attwood

                The Artists' Press
                Box 623
                Newtown
                2113
                South Africa

                Tel. +27 11 836 5474
                fax. +27 11 836 6858
                mark@...

                ----------

              • Mark Attwood
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 4, 2001
                  Hi Frank,

                  I have recently started using surgical latex gloves for the washout. they
                  are thin enough for me to be able to still "feel" the slimy or squeaky
                  nature of the plate and to know when I get down to the metal.

                  hope this helps,
                  Mark.
                  in South Africa

                  Frank wrote:

                  > Hello Tom
                  > I seem to be sensitive to the water after washout, my skin can become very
                  > chapped, so always wear vinyl gloves. I do the same for every press wash
                  > up. I haven't noticed much fumes associated with the plate material I use
                  > the most.
                  >
                  > Frank
                  > in California
                  >

                  > Mark Attwood wrote:
                  >

                  >> Dear Polymer Fundis,
                  >>
                  >> I hand washout my polymer plates using a large brush, and put my hand
                  >> into
                  >> the water while doing this to turn the plate every so often for even
                  >> washout.
                  >>
                  >> I wondered if anyone knows if there is any health risk attached to this,
                  >> or
                  >> possible fumes from the plates?
                  >>

                  >> Mark Attwood.
                  >>

                  >> South Africa
                  >> mark@...
                  >>

                  >> P.S. Fundi is a Zulu word meaning "someone who really knows"
                  >>
                  >> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  > [Click Here!]

                • Harold Kyle
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 5, 2001
                    >It is good to know that no other manufacturer
                    >makes any mention of toxicity.

                    I suspect that no manufacturer _doesn't_ make a mention of toxicity.
                    If they didn't, they would be very vulnerable to lawsuits related to
                    a random allergic reaction. This information isn't printed on the
                    back of each plate, of course, but on MSDSs. I don't have time to
                    quote any of the MSDSs I have laying around--electrician's about to
                    pull my plug--but you might check yours to see if it lists "Health
                    Hazard Data." Mine targets "acrylate sensitive persons"...?

                    Your plates may be manufactured differently than the ones we're
                    talking about on the list. If you have a fax machine, request an MSDS
                    for the plate you're using for information on its toxicity. If you
                    develop a bad reaction because of contact with polymer plates,
                    ignorance is no defense.

                    Harold
                  • Mark Attwood
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 7, 2001
                      Harold wrote:

                      > request an MSDS> for the plate you're using for information on its toxicity.

                      Thanks Harold.

                      Mark Attwood
                      mark@...