Letterpress Lear?

  • Katie Harper
    Message 1 of 6 , May 6, 2003
      Does anyone know where my friend and colleague Gabrielle Fox can start
      looking for a letterpress copy of King Lear? See below.

      Thanks.

      Katie Harper
      Ars Brevis Press
      Cincinnati, OH
      513-233-9588
      http://www.arsbrevispress.com

      Message 2 of 6 , May 6, 2003
        I recently saw one in a consignment store as part of an incomplete set
        of Shakespeare (8 volumes). It was a "Cambridge University Edition"
        letterpressed in 2 color (black and red), hardbound in red cloth. The
        books were about 3" x 4". Very cute. I think they were dated 1917.

        Needless to say, when I went back a week later they were gone...

        Good luck finding this one!

        --Richard Creighton
        "Dreamer Press"
        Martinsburg WV
      • Michael Russem
        Message 3 of 6 , May 6, 2003
          The Limited Editions Club published 37 volumes of
          Shakespeare, and the individual volumes are easily
          found. I don't know if all of the volumes were
          published at once, but the Lear was published in
          1939, & the whole set was designed by Bruce
          Rogers & printed by Colish (I think).

          Michael Russem
          --
          Kat Ran Press
          221 Pine Street #1G5
          Message 4 of 6 , May 7, 2003
            On 5/6/03 3:21 PM, "funquie" <dreamer_press@...> wrote:

            > I recently saw one in a consignment store as part of an incomplete set
            > of Shakespeare (8 volumes). It was a "Cambridge University Edition"
            > letterpressed in 2 color (black and red), hardbound in red cloth. The
            > books were about 3" x 4". Very cute. I think they were dated 1917.
            >
            > Needless to say, when I went back a week later they were gone...
            >
            > Good luck finding this one!
            >
            > --Richard Creighton
            > "Dreamer Press"
            > Martinsburg WV

            We are working on an edition of "Timon of Athens" with designs and images
            created by Wyndam Lewis. Any other Shakespeare works underway out there?
            Charles Jones
          • Dan Franklin
            Message 5 of 6 , May 7, 2003
              Charles Jones wrote:

              >We are working on an edition of "Timon of Athens" with designs and images
              >created by Wyndam Lewis. Any other Shakespeare works underway out there?

              At a book signing for his Bible a couple of years ago, Barry Moser
              was asked, "What's your next project?"

              He said, "I think I've got one more large project in me ... the works
              of Shakespeare." Which of course met with immediate and lengthy
              applause.

              I know nothing beyond this.
              Message 6 of 6 , May 7, 2003
                > We are working on an edition of "Timon of Athens" with designs and
                images
                > created by Wyndam Lewis. Any other Shakespeare works underway out
                there?
                > Charles Jones

                We are working out the preliminaries on a very small book of one of
                Shakespeare's poems. The publisher thought Shakespeare's signature
                would look good on the title page. Oh man. There are possibly six
                signatures identified to one William Shakespeare and they all look
                like a cretin wrote them (apologies to any cretins on this list). Look
                for this stuff on Google and you run smack into the Bacon/Shakespeare
                controversy. Geez.