Help with typeface

    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2003
      Spent the good part of the morning trying to find a specimen of this
      but failed miserably. I'm looking for 16th century examples of
      ornamental initials of the type Granjon used with his civilite. I have
      The Enschede but they are not quite what I need. There was a typeface
      with the typical interlacing penwork but which very subtley portrayed
      various animals and such. The cap S actually has a little bird sitting
      on the lower tail. Anyone know of anything online or even if there is
      a digital reproduction out there?

      Gerald
    • Carole Aldrich
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2003
        Scriptorium has a font named Bestiary. Don't know if that will fit
        the fill. Precision Fonts has it, not sure who else. The "S" does not
        have a bird as described, but it does have animal images around the
        letters.
        --
        Carole M Aldrich
        Voice 909.625.7722

        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2003
          Carole

          Thanks so much for your response. I tried Scriptorium, Precision,
          MyFonts, Bowfin, etc. Nothing. Finally dug through the research
          library. Found some stuff, one might work, from Pynson (1515). Got a
          good scan of it.

          In retrospect I can understand why no digital foundry has tackled the
          baroque scroll-like ornamented initials of that period. There'd be so
          many points per glyph you probably couldn't even open the font!!!

          Gerald