Re: [PPLetterpress] Real press has been converted

  • Fritz Klinke
    Message 1 of 26 , May 2, 2003
      Serial numbers 196 through 1240 are attributed to 1950, the first year of S
      line Heidelberg cylinders (Wieslock plant). A converted press usually means
      the "inkers," as the non-letterpress folks call the ink fountain/ink roller
      assembly, have been removed and other changes mean that it is impossible to
      reconfigure a true converted press. Additionally, most press beds, which are
      made of relatively soft cast iron, are usually milled down to accept a
      harder steel bed plate as steel rule will dent a regular bed. Have someone
      who is knowledgeable about Heidelberg cylinders look at it, but I doubt you
      would be able to print with this press.

      In the US, firms like Hicks Brothers, Demers, and Whittenberg regularly
      convert Heidelberg cylinders ("printers") to diecutters and trash the inking
      assemblies. I remember seeing an ink fountain off a KSBA sticking out of the
      dumpster in back of Hicks Brothers several years ago when I visited their
      plant in San Francisco. There was also a large stack of Heidelberg ink
      rollers waiting to be picked up by the trash people. There is no demand
      commercially for Heidelberg cylinders for printing, but there is a steady
      market for die cutters, and the larger sizes command premium prices.

      Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
      1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
      Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
      970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127
      nagraph@...

      Message 2 of 26 , May 2, 2003
        Thank you Fritz,
        I was afraid that was the case. I will still go and have a look at the
        remains of the two shops. Cheers, Charlie