Re: [PPLetterpress] Real press has been converted

  • Charles Jones
    Message 1 of 26 , May 2, 2003
      On 5/1/03 4:38 PM, "The Indian Hill Press" <mail@...> wrote:

      > By all means grab the Heidelberg cylinder. We use ours almost daily,
      > and with ever more admiration for the fantastic engineering.
      >
      > One warning, however. These machines are built like the Pyramids. Our
      > KSBA weighs in at about 6,600 pounds - and ours is the baby of the
      > family. It takes a real pro to move a Heidelberg - forget the
      > crowbars and pipe rollers!
      >
      > Dan Waters
      > Indian Hill Press

      This press has been converted for die-cutting and embossing. It was built
      in 1950 and came from Buckingham Palace according to the auction house's
      information. Is it costly and or difficult to convert it back to
      letterpress?
      I appreciate anything you folks can tell me. Cheers, Charlie
    • Fritz Klinke
      Message 2 of 26 , May 2, 2003
        Serial numbers 196 through 1240 are attributed to 1950, the first year of S
        line Heidelberg cylinders (Wieslock plant). A converted press usually means
        the "inkers," as the non-letterpress folks call the ink fountain/ink roller
        assembly, have been removed and other changes mean that it is impossible to
        reconfigure a true converted press. Additionally, most press beds, which are
        made of relatively soft cast iron, are usually milled down to accept a
        harder steel bed plate as steel rule will dent a regular bed. Have someone
        who is knowledgeable about Heidelberg cylinders look at it, but I doubt you
        would be able to print with this press.

        In the US, firms like Hicks Brothers, Demers, and Whittenberg regularly
        convert Heidelberg cylinders ("printers") to diecutters and trash the inking
        assemblies. I remember seeing an ink fountain off a KSBA sticking out of the
        dumpster in back of Hicks Brothers several years ago when I visited their
        plant in San Francisco. There was also a large stack of Heidelberg ink
        rollers waiting to be picked up by the trash people. There is no demand
        commercially for Heidelberg cylinders for printing, but there is a steady
        market for die cutters, and the larger sizes command premium prices.

        Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
        1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
        Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
        970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127
        nagraph@...

        > By all means grab the Heidelberg cylinder. We use ours almost daily,
        > and with ever more admiration for the fantastic engineering.
        >
        > One warning, however. These machines are built like the Pyramids. Our
        > KSBA weighs in at about 6,600 pounds - and ours is the baby of the
        > family. It takes a real pro to move a Heidelberg - forget the
        > crowbars and pipe rollers!
        >
        > Dan Waters
        > Indian Hill Press

        This press has been converted for die-cutting and embossing. It was built
        in 1950 and came from Buckingham Palace according to the auction house's
        information. Is it costly and or difficult to convert it back to
        letterpress?
        I appreciate anything you folks can tell me. Cheers, Charlie

        PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        . Encountering problems? contact:
        PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        . To unsubscribe:

      • Charles Jones
        Message 3 of 26 , May 2, 2003
          Thank you Fritz,
          I was afraid that was the case. I will still go and have a look at the
          remains of the two shops. Cheers, Charlie