Re: [PPLetterpress] Expert fonts for idiots?

  • Carole Aldrich
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2 8:40 AM
      Katie

      One thing you could do is set up a character style for the expert
      font, assign it a keystroke (one not likely to be used by anything
      else, then switch to the style, type the character, switch back to
      the text style. I know you can do this in Quark, and believe in
      InDesign also. It would be sort of like the old days when fonts and
      font sizes and styles were entered from the keyboard with commands in
      the old phototypesetting equipment.
      --
      Carole M Aldrich
      Voice 909.625.7722

    • funquie
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2 3:33 PM
        That's the problem with expert fonts. So many bits of type, and only
        so few ASCII codes to spread them around under. And since most people
        these days don't like "old style" numerals, it's almost mandatory for
        typehouses to include both sorts of numbers (lining and old-style).

        I have Expert sets for Poetica, Garamond, and Caslon. In all these
        sets, there are lining and old-style figures. And to get the old-style
        figs, I must apply a different font to the numbers.

        It's a pain, but no more of a pain than hand-setting type in two or
        three different styles (bold, ital, roman, old-style, etc.)

        We (typographers and designers) have gotten VERY lazy since the advent
        of computers, and when a minor glitch like this comes around, it seems
        like a MAJOR deal. In the days of lead type, if your font had lining
        figures and you wanted old style, you'd have to order them from a
        foundry, IF they were available, then sit back and wait for a few
        weeks while they shipped, most likely via train...

        --Richard Creighton
        "Dreamer Press"
        Martinsburg WV