Re: [PPLetterpress] shippin' on the Real press?

  • Charles Jones
    Message 1 of 26 , May 2, 2003
      On 5/1/03 9:31 PM, "thronobulx@..." <thronobulx@...> wrote:

      > While I have nothing but total admiration and respect for Dan Waters as
      > New-England's preeminent folk poet and master printer, I must beg to differ.
      >
      > Under no circumstances should you procure that Heidelberg cylinder press!
      > Have it sent directly to my shop so that I may suffer appropriately for all
      > my past, present and future sins. This is my only hope of salvation.
      >
      > Thank you for helping me atone.
      >
      > James Shanley
      > B Designs.

      > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > ? Encountering problems? contact:
      > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
      > ? To unsubscribe:

      I am making the arrangements as I type. Look for it on your birthday! All
      3 tons of it. And a good morning to all, Charlie
    • Charles Jones
      Message 2 of 26 , May 2, 2003
        On 5/1/03 4:38 PM, "The Indian Hill Press" <mail@...> wrote:

        > By all means grab the Heidelberg cylinder. We use ours almost daily,
        > and with ever more admiration for the fantastic engineering.
        >
        > One warning, however. These machines are built like the Pyramids. Our
        > KSBA weighs in at about 6,600 pounds - and ours is the baby of the
        > family. It takes a real pro to move a Heidelberg - forget the
        > crowbars and pipe rollers!
        >
        > Dan Waters
        > Indian Hill Press

        This press has been converted for die-cutting and embossing. It was built
        in 1950 and came from Buckingham Palace according to the auction house's
        information. Is it costly and or difficult to convert it back to
        letterpress?
        I appreciate anything you folks can tell me. Cheers, Charlie
      • Fritz Klinke
        Message 3 of 26 , May 2, 2003
          Serial numbers 196 through 1240 are attributed to 1950, the first year of S
          line Heidelberg cylinders (Wieslock plant). A converted press usually means
          the "inkers," as the non-letterpress folks call the ink fountain/ink roller
          assembly, have been removed and other changes mean that it is impossible to
          reconfigure a true converted press. Additionally, most press beds, which are
          made of relatively soft cast iron, are usually milled down to accept a
          harder steel bed plate as steel rule will dent a regular bed. Have someone
          who is knowledgeable about Heidelberg cylinders look at it, but I doubt you
          would be able to print with this press.

          In the US, firms like Hicks Brothers, Demers, and Whittenberg regularly
          convert Heidelberg cylinders ("printers") to diecutters and trash the inking
          assemblies. I remember seeing an ink fountain off a KSBA sticking out of the
          dumpster in back of Hicks Brothers several years ago when I visited their
          plant in San Francisco. There was also a large stack of Heidelberg ink
          rollers waiting to be picked up by the trash people. There is no demand
          commercially for Heidelberg cylinders for printing, but there is a steady
          market for die cutters, and the larger sizes command premium prices.

          Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
          1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
          Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
          970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127
          nagraph@...

          Message 4 of 26 , May 2, 2003
            Thank you Fritz,
            I was afraid that was the case. I will still go and have a look at the
            remains of the two shops. Cheers, Charlie