Re: Expert fonts for idiots?

  • Dan Franklin
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1 10:34 PM
      If you're comfortable mixing fonts in Fontographer or FontLab, you
      can make super-old-style text fonts by gleaning characters from the
      Expert set, for instance, by substituting old-style figures and
      adding ff, ffi, ffl ligatures and ct, st ligatures in unused or
      little-used character positions. (Be sure that you always put the
      same character (say, ffl) in the same keyboard position (say, ¥) in
      fonts that you create.)

      If you use Quark, you still have to search/replace the ligatures. You
      can do this in Applescript with a fairly simple script, along the
      lines of ...

      for every text where it is "ffl"
      set text to "¥"

      With patience and care, you can even create a font with old-style
      figures that horizontally align (for numbered lists, etc.). Here you
      are changing widths and sidebearings, but being methodical can
      produce excellent results.

      If you're skittish about using Fontographer but not skittish about
      using Applescript, you can tell the Quark document to go to an Expert
      font for certain characters, like ...

      for every text where it is "ffl"
      set text to "Z"
      if the font of text is Bembo Bold
      set font to Bembo BoldExpert
      else if the font of text is Bembo Italic
      set font to Bembo ItalicExpert

      Such a script can be used over and over by using variables for the
      font names and declaring them only once at the top of the script. A
      script can execute all these changes in less than a second on a
      good-sized chapter. And if you want to decide on a case-by-case basis
      whether to use, say, an st ligature (think "Christmastide"--do you
      really want 2 st ligs there?), you can pause the script and type Y
      for change and N for no-change.

      Of course, if you use Adobe InDesign and have OpenType fonts, you can
      turn old-style figures on and off at will or whimsy.
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1 11:16 PM
        Dan

        Thanks for the info about Apple Scripts.

        > If you're comfortable mixing fonts in Fontographer or FontLab....

        For folks who are a bit comfortable, I've put a PDF of a "simple" FL
        font modification sequence (letterpress configuration) in the How-To
        Files. I'm much more familiar with FOG but would appreciate input from
        anyone regarding the FL sequence. It works, but constructive criticism
        would be helpful.

        Thanks

        Gerald
      • Jessica Spring
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2 6:27 AM
          Katie--
          A trick I've used for large jobs is to set the text then use the
          find/replace feature for each numeral. It's much faster than doing them
          individually.
          --Jessica

          > From: Katie Harper <knharper@...>
          > Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 21:38:11 -0400
          > To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Expert fonts for idiots?
          >
          > Someone mentioned expert fonts, and I have a question because I think I must
          > not be using them correctly. In the case where one is using upper and lower
          > case type and wants to use old style (ie, lowercase) numerals, it appears
          > that the only way to do this is to separately select the numbers (or cap for
          > swash, etc.) and apply the expert style. Is this the right procedure? It's
          > rather a pain, especially with a large block of text.
          >
          > From my research, my own guess is that this IS the way of things, and that
          > (for one thing) is why Open Type is supposed to be so much better, since the
          > special characters are (or will be) accessible automatically...??
          >

          > Katie Harper
          > Ars Brevis Press
          > Cincinnati, OH
          > 513-233-9588
          > http://www.arsbrevispress.com

          > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          > ? Encountering problems? contact:
          > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
          > ? To unsubscribe:

        • Carole Aldrich
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2 8:40 AM
            Katie

            One thing you could do is set up a character style for the expert
            font, assign it a keystroke (one not likely to be used by anything
            else, then switch to the style, type the character, switch back to
            the text style. I know you can do this in Quark, and believe in
            InDesign also. It would be sort of like the old days when fonts and
            font sizes and styles were entered from the keyboard with commands in
            the old phototypesetting equipment.
            --
            Carole M Aldrich
            Voice 909.625.7722

          • funquie
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2 3:33 PM
              That's the problem with expert fonts. So many bits of type, and only
              so few ASCII codes to spread them around under. And since most people
              these days don't like "old style" numerals, it's almost mandatory for
              typehouses to include both sorts of numbers (lining and old-style).

              I have Expert sets for Poetica, Garamond, and Caslon. In all these
              sets, there are lining and old-style figures. And to get the old-style
              figs, I must apply a different font to the numbers.

              It's a pain, but no more of a pain than hand-setting type in two or
              three different styles (bold, ital, roman, old-style, etc.)

              We (typographers and designers) have gotten VERY lazy since the advent
              of computers, and when a minor glitch like this comes around, it seems
              like a MAJOR deal. In the days of lead type, if your font had lining
              figures and you wanted old style, you'd have to order them from a
              foundry, IF they were available, then sit back and wait for a few
              weeks while they shipped, most likely via train...

              --Richard Creighton
              "Dreamer Press"
              Martinsburg WV