Re: [PPLetterpress] Expert fonts for idiots?

  • Katie Harper
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2003
      Hear, hear!

      Katie

      Plus the really
      > great advantage is you never, ever, have to distribute!
      >
      > Gerald

    • Dan Franklin
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2003
        If you're comfortable mixing fonts in Fontographer or FontLab, you
        can make super-old-style text fonts by gleaning characters from the
        Expert set, for instance, by substituting old-style figures and
        adding ff, ffi, ffl ligatures and ct, st ligatures in unused or
        little-used character positions. (Be sure that you always put the
        same character (say, ffl) in the same keyboard position (say, ¥) in
        fonts that you create.)

        If you use Quark, you still have to search/replace the ligatures. You
        can do this in Applescript with a fairly simple script, along the
        lines of ...

        for every text where it is "ffl"
        set text to "¥"

        With patience and care, you can even create a font with old-style
        figures that horizontally align (for numbered lists, etc.). Here you
        are changing widths and sidebearings, but being methodical can
        produce excellent results.

        If you're skittish about using Fontographer but not skittish about
        using Applescript, you can tell the Quark document to go to an Expert
        font for certain characters, like ...

        for every text where it is "ffl"
        set text to "Z"
        if the font of text is Bembo Bold
        set font to Bembo BoldExpert
        else if the font of text is Bembo Italic
        set font to Bembo ItalicExpert

        Such a script can be used over and over by using variables for the
        font names and declaring them only once at the top of the script. A
        script can execute all these changes in less than a second on a
        good-sized chapter. And if you want to decide on a case-by-case basis
        whether to use, say, an st ligature (think "Christmastide"--do you
        really want 2 st ligs there?), you can pause the script and type Y
        for change and N for no-change.

        Of course, if you use Adobe InDesign and have OpenType fonts, you can
        turn old-style figures on and off at will or whimsy.
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2003
          Dan

          Thanks for the info about Apple Scripts.

          > If you're comfortable mixing fonts in Fontographer or FontLab....

          For folks who are a bit comfortable, I've put a PDF of a "simple" FL
          font modification sequence (letterpress configuration) in the How-To
          Files. I'm much more familiar with FOG but would appreciate input from
          anyone regarding the FL sequence. It works, but constructive criticism
          would be helpful.

          Thanks

          Gerald
        • Jessica Spring
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2003
            Katie--
            A trick I've used for large jobs is to set the text then use the
            find/replace feature for each numeral. It's much faster than doing them
            individually.
            --Jessica

            > From: Katie Harper <knharper@...>
            > Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 21:38:11 -0400
            > To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Expert fonts for idiots?
            >
            > Someone mentioned expert fonts, and I have a question because I think I must
            > not be using them correctly. In the case where one is using upper and lower
            > case type and wants to use old style (ie, lowercase) numerals, it appears
            > that the only way to do this is to separately select the numbers (or cap for
            > swash, etc.) and apply the expert style. Is this the right procedure? It's
            > rather a pain, especially with a large block of text.
            >
            > From my research, my own guess is that this IS the way of things, and that
            > (for one thing) is why Open Type is supposed to be so much better, since the
            > special characters are (or will be) accessible automatically...??
            >

            > Katie Harper
            > Ars Brevis Press
            > Cincinnati, OH
            > 513-233-9588
            > http://www.arsbrevispress.com

            > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
            > ? Encountering problems? contact:
            > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
            > ? To unsubscribe:

          • Carole Aldrich
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2003
              Katie

              One thing you could do is set up a character style for the expert
              font, assign it a keystroke (one not likely to be used by anything
              else, then switch to the style, type the character, switch back to
              the text style. I know you can do this in Quark, and believe in
              InDesign also. It would be sort of like the old days when fonts and
              font sizes and styles were entered from the keyboard with commands in
              the old phototypesetting equipment.
              --
              Carole M Aldrich
              Voice 909.625.7722

            • funquie
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2003
                That's the problem with expert fonts. So many bits of type, and only
                so few ASCII codes to spread them around under. And since most people
                these days don't like "old style" numerals, it's almost mandatory for
                typehouses to include both sorts of numbers (lining and old-style).

                I have Expert sets for Poetica, Garamond, and Caslon. In all these
                sets, there are lining and old-style figures. And to get the old-style
                figs, I must apply a different font to the numbers.

                It's a pain, but no more of a pain than hand-setting type in two or
                three different styles (bold, ital, roman, old-style, etc.)

                We (typographers and designers) have gotten VERY lazy since the advent
                of computers, and when a minor glitch like this comes around, it seems
                like a MAJOR deal. In the days of lead type, if your font had lining
                figures and you wanted old style, you'd have to order them from a
                foundry, IF they were available, then sit back and wait for a few
                weeks while they shipped, most likely via train...

                --Richard Creighton
                "Dreamer Press"
                Martinsburg WV