[PPLetterpress] Matte vs. smooth plates

  • Harold Kyle
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2001
      I was talking with a rep today about the difference between smooth
      and matte polymer plates. He said that the matte plates don't need as
      much ink to transfer their image. Printers who used fine halftone
      screens, especially with vignettes or other light tones, preferred to
      use matte plates because they experience less ink gain. He also
      mentioned that if your negative doesn't have a matte surface that the
      matte plate helps the contact in the vacuum.

      Thought I would share this information. I've gotten good results on
      both types of plates, and will try some tests when I make plates
      later this week. Have people experienced differences between the
      plates when printing text or line art? Specifically, have people
      noticed less ink squeeze on matte plates, or is the difference
      minimal?

      Harold Kyle
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2001
        Dear Harold

        Though I normally use Toyobo Printight (tip of the hat here to Tom) on
        occasion I will use a BASF (nyloprint) plate at .037" that has a matte
        surface. Prints very well for detail, halftones, etc. (some picking
        with solids). Odd though in processing; stuff stinks, suds up and
        cruds up in the wash, and when you are finished it looks likes its
        not. Weird shininess at the junctures of the shoulders, very sticky
        surface, etc. Colors are Halloweenie and the material seens opaque.
        But, like I said, prints very well, somewhat expensive. Can't remember
        the stock number off hand. A long while back, Pat Reagh and Bradley
        Hutchinson both told me they prefer nyloprint to Printight. Haven't
        had much luck with Jet though I understand (could be wrong) both Jet
        and Printight are made by the Toyobo folks, or at least, the same
        manufacturer makes both brands. Been a bit hard to verify this.

        Ger