RE: [PPLetterpress] Real Printing

  • David Goodrich
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 30, 2003
      The question is whether you love the product or the process. If your goal
      is to produce the highest quality books, PPL is the way to go. I would not
      regret it for a moment. I have only used it on a limited basis but found it
      totally acceptable and equal to any metal plate making process and much more
      practical. I hope to use it more, or would not stay tuned in to this site.
      On the other hand, my real love is type. I love setting it, rearranging it,
      resetting it in another size or font, and seeing how it prints before going
      back to the stone to rearrange further. I particularly love working with
      ancient and obsolete fonts. I guess I am in love with the process, for
      production runs of even a few hundred copies, bore me.
      But ultimately it is the actual printing, the impact of an inked, raised
      surface on paper, that makes the difference, and it doesn't matter how the
      raised surface was created.
      In my role as treasurer of a non-profit foundation, I receive dozens of
      corporate annual reports each spring and the quality of the [offset]
      printing astonishes me. (The cover of one credit card processing company's
      report was letterpress this year.) Even in a bad year like 2002,
      corporations go all out in their annual reports. I could never achieve the
      register for color printing on my hand press or hope to produce work of this
      refinement. Nothing letterpress could produce this quality of color. If I
      were producing an annual report for thousands of stockholders I would do it
      this way too and be proud of it. It is excellent printing. But it is bland
      and easy to toss out. There is no pleasure in reading it. On the other
      hand, a book that has been beautifully printed letterpress is a joy to hold
      as well as read, however it was produced. It is a different kind of
      excellence, and one we can hope to attain.
      So go back to doing what you like doing and produce beautiful things and
      don't worry about how someone else approaches their work.

      David.

      Message 2 of 26 , May 1 4:46 AM
        This discussion of what is or is not "real" or true or whatever when it
        comes to printing reminds me of a discussion I had years ago with Peter
        Kruty about the pros and cons of handset metal v. Linotype v. Monotype v.
        Polymer. Scholars, enthusiasts, graphic designers and printers of all
        stripes have weighed into this issue. Peter's point was that there are good
        features and not so good features about each of these ways of setting type,
        and it all depends on what the particular typography job requires (including
        aesthetically, as well as what is available and what the budget will allow,
        etc.) It's the kind of thing that will be argued for generations, and this
        is all to the good. It keeps us all awake and aware of the notion that God
        (or the devil) is in the details.

        The mention of Gutenberg and how he was chastised because his text didn't
        look calligraphic is an important thought. At each technological shift, the
        new way is almost always vilified because while it might make the process
        easier, faster, cheaper, it shifts from the old ways and there will always
        be those who prefer the latter. And in many cases the technological shift
        does represent a compromise in quality of one kind or another. But if you
        look back over the history of printing, there are pros with these shifts as
        well as cons. They often make the process much easier and faster and more
        cost effective, thus allowing more printers to make a profit and stay in
        business, and also allowing more printed communications to get the message
        into the hands of more and more people. Again, whether this is good or bad,
        or if good, is worth the compromise in quality, is the kind of thing you
        could argue about for hours over several adult beverages...

        I guess my take on it is this: all these things are tools in our toolbox.
        The more tools we have, the more choices we have so that we can satisfy both
        aesthetic and practical considerations. I frankly prefer to stay open to all
        possibilities and the various quirks of each process because I think the
        subtle differences in each process increase the potential for powerful
        communication.

        Katie Harper
        Ars Brevis Press
        Cincinnati, OH
        513-233-9588
        http://www.arsbrevispress.com
      • The Indian Hill Press
        Message 3 of 26 , May 1 4:59 AM
          I must put in my two cents here and correct a misimpression that
          seems to be spreading. Charles wrote:

          >If you haven't bought it cheap, robbed it or inherited it, type is
          >worth it's weight in gold now.
          >Polymerplate gives you all the type you need.

          While it's true that rare, sought-after typefaces in foundry type can
          be hard to find and expensive, there is a vast wasteland of perfectly
          functional or near-functional Linotypes and Ludlows going begging.
          With one of these machines, and a modest library of matrices, you
          could spend the rest of your life printing from virgin metal type and
          be happy as a pig in mud.

          Yes, Linotypes and Ludlows (and ALL casters) imposed mechanical
          restrictions on type design that computers have since transcended.
          However, both Ludlow and Linotype hired the best typographers of
          their time to design faces that worked well with their machines. It's
          a joy to make and print from type as they originally conceived it.
          Even when these typefaces are digitized, they rarely survive intact.
          Lost are many wonderful swashes, ligatures and tied characters.

          Having said that, let me add that I print from polymer every day and
          wouldn't give it up for the world.

          Dan Waters
          Indian Hill Press
        • Mike Gastin
          Message 4 of 26 , May 1 6:11 AM
            Bryan,

            I read that same article and thought the guy was a dope. But, I thought more
            about it ...

            He was originally an ad agency guy and left the biz to start his little
            press. I think he makes a big noise about real vs. plastic in an effort to
            impress his ad community friends who supply him with work. I think he is
            providing a kind of snob appeal to impress (no pun intended!) his
            customers - the agencies.

            I do not agree with his attitude about polymer. I think the question was
            asked in a previous post - what did some folk thing of Gutenberg and his
            mechanical type verses the "beauty" of hand lettering?

            I think polymer is an awesome tool to allow a printer accomplish something
            that is unreasonable with the supply of metal type these days. Progress ....

            Mike

            Message 5 of 26 , May 1 7:38 AM
              The proof's in the pudding ;-)

              I've yet to prefer hot metal badly arranged to cold well designed.

              However, particularly for display, there's no substitution for the instant feedback that metal foundry type allows. To pull a proof, switch a copper hair-space from one side of a letter to the other, pull the proof again...

              The computer, with the no-rules philosophy, allows the creation of work which has no guts, no bones, no spirit. Even badly set linotype and foundry has some honesty about it.

              (For the record, I designed my first digital typeface in 1985 and was working in letterpress a few years before that.)

              Gutenberg's critics didn't really care about the 'beauty' of 'calligraphy'. They were more concerned about their own jobs, and that his press could put 1000 of them out of work with a single book!

              Ciao
              Peter

              At 9:11 AM -0400 2003-05-01, Mike Gastin wrote:
              >Bryan,
              >
              >I read that same article and thought the guy was a dope. But, I thought more
              >about it ...
              >
              >He was originally an ad agency guy and left the biz to start his little
              >press. I think he makes a big noise about real vs. plastic in an effort to
              >impress his ad community friends who supply him with work. I think he is
              >providing a kind of snob appeal to impress (no pun intended!) his
              >customers - the agencies.
              >
              >I do not agree with his attitude about polymer. I think the question was
              >asked in a previous post - what did some folk thing of Gutenberg and his
              >mechanical type verses the "beauty" of hand lettering?
              >
              >I think polymer is an awesome tool to allow a printer accomplish something
              >that is unreasonable with the supply of metal type these days. Progress ....
              >
              >Mike

              Peter Fraterdeus http://www.midsummernightstamps.com
              http://www.fraterdeus.com |* + * + * + Rubber Stamp Fine Art!

              http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting < * > Mac OS X
            • Katie Harper
              Message 6 of 26 , May 1 7:50 AM
                Peter:

                Yes, I forgot to mention that one of the downsides of technological shift is
                that the artisans and practitioners of the old way are usually thrown out of
                work.

                I heartily agree with your point that it's not so much the actual tool or
                method, as what is done with it, that is important. I was talking the other
                day with a student about one of the (in my opinion) low points in
                typographic history, photo type, and while most of it was plug ugly, there
                were geniuses like Herb Lubalin who could make it sing.

                Katie Harper

              • Paul W Romaine
                Message 7 of 26 , May 1 8:40 AM
                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Carole Aldrich wrote:
                  [....] >The old
                  > style group who eschews anything new and those who realize that there
                  > is a marriage of old and new technology that can benefit all.

                  Like Carole, I would not deign to call these people "purists," they
                  are antiquarian romantics. Gerald tells the wonderful story of one
                  such person (whom I know, and who's a great guy), sniffing at
                  photopolymer as too technological, and then immediately responding to
                  his beeper. I certainly respect the folks at Colonial Williamsburg who
                  labor on the common press, but I sure as all heck wouldn't want to do
                  it myself for a living. And trust me, those workers go home to houses
                  with central heating and plumbing. Some even use... computers.

                  > Yes, you are right that I posted here to get affirmation. When
                  > phototypesetting became commonplace in the graphics world, there were
                  > those who thought it was not up to the quality of the old ways.

                  I think one of the most judicious responses I've heard on
                  photocomposition or digital composition came from the New York
                  designer Jerry Kelly in an informal chat. It all depends on the *care*
                  with which you work with the tools that you're given. He insists that
                  photocomp offset or any other technology can be a fine tool in the
                  hands of a careful craftsperson.

                  Would Bruce Rogers or Daniel Berkeley Updike have jumped at
                  photopolymer, digital composition and modern offset? You bet! And
                  Updike, in particular, seems to have had some remorse at how, as a
                  young whippersnapper, he so frequently changed designs after type had
                  been set--see some of the essays in the new DBU anthology from Mark
                  Batty. He and John Bianci had hot metal machines at Merrymount Press
                  by the time of Updike's death. (O tempora! O mores!)

                  > Now, when I look at metal type and contrast that with the finesse of
                  > kerning and spacing that I have with my computer type, I feel really
                  > restricted by using metal type.

                  Well, yes, but there's an immediacy and physicality to metal type. I
                  find it a PITA to handle, especially as my eyes get older, but there's
                  a certain feel and ... for lack of a better term, "zen" to setting
                  foundry type.

                  > I'm sure even Gutenberg was considered a pariah by some, since his
                  > type was mechanical and lacked the finesse of hand calligraphy.

                  Carole, I'm glad you cast this as speculation. As another poster has
                  noted, historically, it was the soon-to-be-out-of-work scribes who
                  were most affected.

                  > What his [Gutenberg's] technology did was to bring books to the masses.<

                  May I quibble? Gutenberg's invention had the *potential* to bring
                  books, pardons, printed forms, posters, newspapers, playbills, ticket
                  stubs, flyers, and printed tin cans to the masses, but that would be
                  the future. He printed for a small number of well-off organizations
                  and people, like the Church. The first "humanist" printers printed for
                  a small number of humanist scholars (like Valla, Bembus and later
                  Erasmus) and highly educated nobles (courtier, Castiglione-types),
                  then the circle widened as very small middle class, concerned for its
                  salvation, began learning to read. The great mass of people were not
                  reading, not even in the 18th century. (This "books to the masses"
                  idea is like the ever-rising middle class.) There's a widening circle
                  affected by literacy in each century, in different countries, with
                  each innovator, and the masses are truly not reached until the
                  invention of the cylinder press and its harnessing to non-human
                  sources of power in the 19th C. In the pre-industrial revolution, a
                  better claim to bringing books to the masses could be made by John
                  Bell and his (textually awful, but typographically important)
                  libraries of great authors, like Shakespeare. In fact, Bell, in his
                  introduction to Shakespeare, explains that he eliminated long-s in his
                  presswork, in part because of the problem of increasing literacy in
                  the serving classes. (Try reading aloud "Where the bee sucks, there
                  suck I," from _As You Like It_. Cite reference on Bell to Paul W.
                  Nash's article in Journal of the Printing Historical Society, 2000.)

                  All in all, an interesting thread of discussion.

                  Best,
                  Paul
                  Paul W Romaine
                  http://home.pipeline.com/~romaine
                • Bruce Kennett Studio
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 1 9:13 AM
                    >I guess my take on it is this: all these things are tools in our toolbox.
                    >The more tools we have, the more choices we have so that we can satisfy both
                    >aesthetic and practical considerations. I frankly prefer to stay open to all
                    >possibilities and the various quirks of each process because I think the
                    >subtle differences in each process increase the potential for powerful
                    >communication.

                    this seems spot-on to me!

                    i am a photographer as well as book designer, and a few years ago i
                    helped to create a book for kodak's professional photography division
                    in germany. it was at a time when a lot of professional shooters were
                    growing very anxious about converting to digital. the thrust of the
                    book was that they should not fully embrace digital, nor should they
                    hold back in pure analogue. instead, they should think of it as a
                    system of *hybrid* imaging, where they drew from the strengths of
                    each area and tried to minimize as best they could the inherent
                    shortcomings of each. (for example, an image on a sheet of 4x5 color
                    transparency film can hold a HUGE amount of data, and have fantastic
                    tonal smoothness, and it takes up a whole lot less room than a hard
                    drive; but it's also very tender and fragile, and it remains as a
                    physical object. by contrast, a digital file of the same image can be
                    sent electronically, manipulated in a wild number of ways, and
                    combined with other images, etc. but it may be lacking in subtlety
                    and tonal smoothness.)

                    that said, each year brings digital that much closer to analogue in
                    photography, and in music reproduction.

                    i agree wholeheartedly with katie here: i feel most comfortable with
                    the notion that there *is* no absolute best way, it varies so much
                    from job to job -- driven by content, budget, schedule, available
                    machinery, intended readers, etc. and i'm more interested in good
                    printing and effective and beautiful design than i am in *real*
                    printing (whatever that is . . .)

                    bruce

                    (i just signed up for this list so i'll be a new name for everyone,b
                    ut at some point i'll explain a bit about my interests)
                    --

                    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                    Bruce Kennett Studio
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 1 9:20 AM
                      My first hand setting of type dates back to the mid-50s on the Canyon
                      Courier in Evergreen, Colo., but I recently achieved my goal of having some
                      of all of the hot metal machines--Ludow, Linotype, Monotype--and yet we make
                      photopolymer plates almost every day. This morning's work includes a set of
                      plates for a fellow who prints decals for model railroaders which are done
                      on a Vandercook Universal I that was made to his specifications in the 60s.
                      His railroad type is all custom created on a computer and cannot be
                      duplicated in metal type.

                      I have also worked in a "real" letterpress production shop where massive
                      amounts of letterpress work was done on a regular basis to very tight
                      schedules. What ever produced the end result desired by the customer was
                      fair game. It ran from hand set type to the earliest photopolymer plates
                      (Dycril) to chrome plated electros, and often combined offset. An example
                      would have been the catalog for a junior college we did in 3 weeks--4-color
                      offset cover, about 430 pages of 8 pt Linotype, about 15 halftones, 20,000
                      copies, all chapter heads hand set, and perfect bound. This was done on
                      several presses including Miehle flatbeds and Heidelberg cylinders. And not
                      too many blocks away was where the Grabhorns once produced their exquisite
                      letterpress books and commercial printing. Thus a discussion or debate of
                      what is "real" in terms of letterpress has to cover all the aspects of the
                      trade--no one part is any more real than another in my opinion and
                      experience.

                      Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
                      1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
                      Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
                      970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127
                      nagraph@...

                      I've yet to prefer hot metal badly arranged to cold well designed.

                      However, particularly for display, there's no substitution for the instant f
                      eedback that metal foundry type allows. To pull a proof, switch a copper
                      hair-space from one side of a letter to the other, pull the proof again...

                      The computer, with the no-rules philosophy, allows the creation of work
                      which has no guts, no bones, no spirit. Even badly set linotype and foundry
                      has some honesty about it.

                      (For the record, I designed my first digital typeface in 1985 and was
                      working in letterpress a few years before that.)

                      Gutenberg's critics didn't really care about the 'beauty' of 'calligraphy'.
                      They were more concerned about their own jobs, and that his press could put
                      1000 of them out of work with a single book!

                      Ciao
                      Peter

                      At 9:11 AM -0400 2003-05-01, Mike Gastin wrote:
                      >Bryan,
                      >
                      >I read that same article and thought the guy was a dope. But, I thought
                      more
                      >about it ...
                      >
                      >He was originally an ad agency guy and left the biz to start his little
                      >press. I think he makes a big noise about real vs. plastic in an effort to
                      >impress his ad community friends who supply him with work. I think he is
                      >providing a kind of snob appeal to impress (no pun intended!) his
                      >customers - the agencies.
                      >
                      >I do not agree with his attitude about polymer. I think the question was
                      >asked in a previous post - what did some folk thing of Gutenberg and his
                      >mechanical type verses the "beauty" of hand lettering?
                      >
                      >I think polymer is an awesome tool to allow a printer accomplish something
                      >that is unreasonable with the supply of metal type these days. Progress
                      >
                      >Mike

                    • Charles Jones
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 1 10:11 AM
                        Would those on the list recommend a Heidelberg cylinder press? I have the
                        chance to get one. We are using a vandercook Univ. III at present. Charlie
                      • Charles Jones
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 1 10:23 AM
                          I understand that the Medici Family of Florence would not support the
                          establishment of a press in the late 1500's because it would was felt that
                          books printed from type, that new fangled'stuff would somehow lessen the
                          value of their collection of hand illuminated and lettered books. We need,
                          as so many have eloqeuntly said, realize that tools are tools and not the
                          result. I belonged to a letterpress guild for a year or two during which
                          time I received a bundle of work printed from type each month. There was
                          some good but most was poorly designed and often times badly printed.
                          Cheers, Charlie
                        • Kathleen Whalen
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 1 11:01 AM
                            Unreservedly YES! In England the private presses Fleece, Whittington and the
                            late lamented Rocket Press, all use Heidelberg cylinders if you'd like to
                            see the sort of work that small publishers are producing on these machines.

                            Graham Moss
                            Incline Press
                            11A Printer Street
                            Oldham OL1 1PN England
                            (44) 0161 627 1966
                            http://www.inclinepress.com

                            > From: Charles Jones <cjones@...>
                            > Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 12:11:01 -0500
                            > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                            > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Real press?
                            >
                            > Would those on the list recommend a Heidelberg cylinder press? I have the
                            > chance to get one. We are using a vandercook Univ. III at present. Charlie

                          • funquie
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 1 11:08 AM
                              "Paul W Romaine" wrote:

                              > Would Bruce Rogers or Daniel Berkeley Updike have jumped at
                              > photopolymer, digital composition and modern offset? You bet!

                              I'd beg to differ. From what I've read of Rogers (in his own words,
                              and those of his biographers and friends) he thought Offset printing
                              was, although a boon for the printing "industry", a curse on the
                              printing "art". It's product is cold, sterile, flat, and without
                              tactile "real-ness"...

                              All that said, you can't get good color photos in a publication with
                              lettepress technology...

                              > a certain feel and ... for lack of a better term, "zen" to setting
                              > foundry type.

                              Yes, I agree. Although I've been working with computers since
                              "PageMaker v.1.0", and can set electronic type with the best of them
                              (gotta love those AdobeExpert Sets!), there is something meditative
                              about setting lead type by hand. The rhythmic click of lead alloy on
                              steel, the preassure of the thumb in a composing stick, the swinging
                              of the arm from case to stick--it IS a very Zen activity. Setting type
                              by hand is all about "REAL-NESS"--metal, ink, clacking steel and iron,
                              letters and images being forcibly impressed into paper. Letterpress
                              printing produces a real, tangible, eternal THING.

                              Whereas, setting type on computers is all about illusion. Bits and
                              bytes, transitory signals through wires, lasers, static charges, toner
                              on paper which will crumble away in a few decades. Modern printing is
                              fleeting, impermanent, and transitory.

                              > May I quibble? Gutenberg's invention had the *potential* to bring
                              > books, pardons, printed forms, posters, newspapers, playbills...

                              Although modern free-thinking individuals might speculate that the
                              Press had tremendous potential to free the common man, it in fact only
                              aided to his further enslavement, subjugation, and oppression. The
                              Press brought mass-produceable printed messages, and with it,, the
                              easy dissemination of ever-increasing laws, beaurocracy, and
                              government regulations of everything from what texts were printed, to
                              how many chickens you were allowed to own if you were of a certain
                              religion...

                              The press brought things like censorship, beaurocracy, genocide (based
                              on census data) and propaganda into ubiquity.

                              The press, in fact, could be touted as the single most insideous
                              instrument of human subjugation since the sword or spear...

                              I've been doing letterpress for about 2 years. I did a little in
                              college (a few decades ago, printing posters for the Theatre Dept.
                              with wood type on a little flatbed poster press.) I also do a LOT of
                              computer typesetting. The shop where I currently work prints mostly
                              offset, with plates we make directly from our computer files.

                              I wish they made "relief" plate material for our Direct-To-Plate
                              machine. To be able to make my own plates for the Heidelberg from
                              files on my mac, and have them spit out in a matter of minutes would
                              be heavenly, but alas, it is not to be...

                              I love my Mac. I love Quark and Photoshop and Illustrator. I love
                              well-crafted digital type (which is, unfortunately, in the vast
                              MINORITY in the hundreds of currently available digital typefaces.)

                              But there is something very special and almost mystical about pulling
                              some slightly over-preassure prints, set in ATF Caslon Old Style on
                              Rives BFK Medium from the platen of my 1912 C&P 10x15 Old Series
                              press--a feeling, both magical and tangible that I doubt we will ever
                              be able to elicit from modern digital techno-printing, no matter how
                              high the resolution, how advanced the pigments, or how sophisticated
                              the software becomes...

                              And so I set type, and print. And I use Photopolymer plates too
                              because it lets me use techniques and tricks on Letterpress that are
                              otherwise impossible (or maddening) to achieve. Like "text-on-a-curve"
                              or sophisticated separations, or strange type manipulation.

                              But no matte what I do on my computer, when it comes to printing type,
                              it will ALWAYS (in my opinion) look better if printed by a relief
                              process. I'm sure the folks at Ryobi, Heidelberg, and Komori think
                              differently, but they are just too dazzled by the technology to see
                              the subtle beauty of "real printing"...

                              That's just my opinion, though. YMMV...

                              --Richard Creighton
                              "Dreamer Press"
                              Martinsburg WV
                            • funquie
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 1 11:40 AM
                                Charles Jones wrote:

                                > Would those on the list recommend a Heidelberg cylinder press?
                                > I have the chance to get one.

                                According to an associate of mine who used to work for the US Dept of
                                Treasury, Heidelberg Cylinders are about as close as you can get to
                                the presses they use to print US currency, in quality of image,
                                reliability, and durability. I've already decided that after I get a
                                Windmill, my first flatbed cylinder with be, without a doubt, a
                                Heidelberg. But that's WAY down the line. First, I need a Kingsley
                                foiler, a bigger C&P Old Series, a C&P Craftsman, and I have to build
                                a wood-frame/metal screw Franklin/Common press...

                                Yes, I'm relatively young (37) very ambition, and still have stars in
                                my eyes. My attitude is explained by the name my girlfriend came up
                                with for my shop... :)

                                --Richard Creighton
                                "Dreamer Press"
                                Martinsburg WV
                              • The Indian Hill Press
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 1 2:38 PM
                                  By all means grab the Heidelberg cylinder. We use ours almost daily,
                                  and with ever more admiration for the fantastic engineering.

                                  One warning, however. These machines are built like the Pyramids. Our
                                  KSBA weighs in at about 6,600 pounds - and ours is the baby of the
                                  family. It takes a real pro to move a Heidelberg - forget the
                                  crowbars and pipe rollers!

                                  Dan Waters
                                  Indian Hill Press

                                • thronobulx@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 1 7:11 PM
                                    Tell it like it is, Fritz!

                                    James Shanley
                                    B Designs

                                  • thronobulx@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 1 7:31 PM
                                      While I have nothing but total admiration and respect for Dan Waters as
                                      New-England's preeminent folk poet and master printer, I must beg to differ.

                                      Under no circumstances should you procure that Heidelberg cylinder press!
                                      Have it sent directly to my shop so that I may suffer appropriately for all
                                      my past, present and future sins. This is my only hope of salvation.

                                      Thank you for helping me atone.

                                      James Shanley
                                      B Designs.

                                    • Charles Jones
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 2 6:48 AM
                                        On 5/1/03 9:31 PM, "thronobulx@..." <thronobulx@...> wrote:

                                        > While I have nothing but total admiration and respect for Dan Waters as
                                        > New-England's preeminent folk poet and master printer, I must beg to differ.
                                        >
                                        > Under no circumstances should you procure that Heidelberg cylinder press!
                                        > Have it sent directly to my shop so that I may suffer appropriately for all
                                        > my past, present and future sins. This is my only hope of salvation.
                                        >
                                        > Thank you for helping me atone.
                                        >
                                        > James Shanley
                                        > B Designs.

                                        > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                                        > ? Encountering problems? contact:
                                        > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
                                        > ? To unsubscribe:

                                        I am making the arrangements as I type. Look for it on your birthday! All
                                        3 tons of it. And a good morning to all, Charlie
                                      • Charles Jones
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 2 9:03 AM
                                          On 5/1/03 4:38 PM, "The Indian Hill Press" <mail@...> wrote:

                                          > By all means grab the Heidelberg cylinder. We use ours almost daily,
                                          > and with ever more admiration for the fantastic engineering.
                                          >
                                          > One warning, however. These machines are built like the Pyramids. Our
                                          > KSBA weighs in at about 6,600 pounds - and ours is the baby of the
                                          > family. It takes a real pro to move a Heidelberg - forget the
                                          > crowbars and pipe rollers!
                                          >
                                          > Dan Waters
                                          > Indian Hill Press

                                          This press has been converted for die-cutting and embossing. It was built
                                          in 1950 and came from Buckingham Palace according to the auction house's
                                          information. Is it costly and or difficult to convert it back to
                                          letterpress?
                                          I appreciate anything you folks can tell me. Cheers, Charlie
                                        • Fritz Klinke
                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 2 10:30 AM
                                            Serial numbers 196 through 1240 are attributed to 1950, the first year of S
                                            line Heidelberg cylinders (Wieslock plant). A converted press usually means
                                            the "inkers," as the non-letterpress folks call the ink fountain/ink roller
                                            assembly, have been removed and other changes mean that it is impossible to
                                            reconfigure a true converted press. Additionally, most press beds, which are
                                            made of relatively soft cast iron, are usually milled down to accept a
                                            harder steel bed plate as steel rule will dent a regular bed. Have someone
                                            who is knowledgeable about Heidelberg cylinders look at it, but I doubt you
                                            would be able to print with this press.

                                            In the US, firms like Hicks Brothers, Demers, and Whittenberg regularly
                                            convert Heidelberg cylinders ("printers") to diecutters and trash the inking
                                            assemblies. I remember seeing an ink fountain off a KSBA sticking out of the
                                            dumpster in back of Hicks Brothers several years ago when I visited their
                                            plant in San Francisco. There was also a large stack of Heidelberg ink
                                            rollers waiting to be picked up by the trash people. There is no demand
                                            commercially for Heidelberg cylinders for printing, but there is a steady
                                            market for die cutters, and the larger sizes command premium prices.

                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 2 11:57 AM
                                              Thank you Fritz,
                                              I was afraid that was the case. I will still go and have a look at the
                                              remains of the two shops. Cheers, Charlie