Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Pagelayout Software

  • Zida Borcich
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 20, 2003
      Dear Peter,

      Since I am the one who started this discussion, I would
      like to say YES, please help us get to the bottom of
      all this. I guess I would like to know if there is a way to impose pdf
      files on a Quark spread? It seems a long shot, but would
      surely be convenient, no? I would love to have something
      I could send to the agencies that are not conversant with
      the available possibilities. Thanks for your investigations.

      Zida

      Peter Fraterdeus wrote:

      > Hi martini!
      >
      > As I understand it, (as a designer of digital fonts for a couple of decades), PDF is as much Postscript as EPS.
      >
      > They are both containers for PostScript libraries and instruction sets.
      > The difference is in the headers, and that PDF is far more flexible.
      >
      > The typical reason that a service bureau would only take Quark or EPS files is that they use Quark for imposing...
      >
      > An InDesign generated PDF without specific and special functions should render without problems on a Level 1 RIP. Levels 2 & 3 extend the spec, they don't make the Level 1 spec obsolete. That said, there may very well be Level 2 and 3 libraries incorporated into InDesign PDFs, depending on the features one uses in the document...
      >
      > If there's a deep desire here to get to the root of this, I can inquire of my contacts in Adobe.
      >
      > Ciao!
      >
      > Peter
      >
      > At 7:11 PM +0100 2003-04-10, drymartini@... wrote:
      > >Peter Fraterdeus wrote:
      > >
      > >>RIP is a Raster Image Processor, which interprets the "Page Description
      > >>Language (aka Postscript)" and produces a Very High Resolution bitmap
      > >>which is then translated by the imaging engine (with laser pulses, for
      > >>instance) to your film or other media.
      > >>
      > >>RIPs run Postscript, they're not "designed" for Quark or Pagemaker.
      > >
      > >Generally true, however it overlooks one important point, which is that
      > >there are different levels of PostScript. QuarkXPress and older RIPs
      > >only understand Level 1, the oldest version.
      > >
      > >But the latest and greatest Adobe programs like InDesign output advanced
      > >PostScript (called Level 2 and Level 3). To output Level 3 files you
      > >need a Level 3 RIP.
      > >
      > >It's understandable that printers who are too cheap to upgrade a RIP
      > >will want to stick to a Level 1 workflow as long as they can.
      > >
      > >>A proper Adobe Postscript interpreter will have no trouble at all with
      > >>a properly rendered PDF. In fact there is fundamentally no difference
      > >>between an EPS and a PDF except that the PDF has additional headers.
      > >>Both are pure postscript.
      > >
      > >PDF and PostScript share a graphics model, but are not the same.
      > >PostScript is a graphics programming language, PDF isn't.
      > >

      > --
      > AzByCx DwEvFu GtHsIr JqKpLo MnNmOl PkQjRi ShTgUf VeWdXc YbZa&@
      >
      > Peter Fraterdeus http://www.midsummernightstamps.com
      > http://www.fraterdeus.com |* + * + * + Rubber Stamp Fine Art!
      >
      > http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting < * > Mac OS X
      > "Words that work."(tm) Communication Design and Typography

      > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > • Encountering problems? contact:
      > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
      > • To unsubscribe:

      STUDIO Z MENDOCINO
      Graphic Design & Fine Letterpress & Offset Printing
      Visit our fabulous new web site at
      http://www.studio-z.com
      Tel: 707.964.2522 Fax 707.964.0850
    • Katie Harper
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 23, 2003
        I just came from an all-day Adobe seminar. Many of the questions that have
        been bouncing around on this list were addressed, and I will try to dig
        through my notes to pass along the tips I learned. If you have a chance to
        see this dog and pony show from Adobe (it's free) I highly recommend it.
        It's useful not only to see what the newer technology can do, but to realize
        why they are building things the way they are, and how to utilize their
        software to increase productivity and efficiency for more fun and fewer
        headaches. Most of the day was devoted to In Design, which blows Quark and
        Pagemaker right out of the water in too many ways to mention.

        They also talked a lot about Acrobat 6 which is due out in May (still in
        beta they said) and yes, it will solve many of the problems that have
        plagued earlier versions and has way cool new features besides.

        Katie Harper