Home Made Negs on inkjet

  • Jerome Curchod
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 19 4:47 PM
      Katie,

      Pretty new to it, but I've been experimenting with making negs on my Epson,
      and here's what I'm doing now: I'm running the transparency TWICE in the
      printer. If I align it well to the side of the feeder, it actually prints
      over perfectly (ok, I haven't tried 6 point type yet, but the details on the
      images I've been printing are incredibly well registered). Then I also print
      another version twice on a second transparency, having created a path
      (relatively roughly) of the image or using the wand (all this done in
      Photoshop), and then doing a Select>Modify>Expand of 2-3 points on that
      path. I delete my image, to keep only the black around it. I sandwich the 2
      outputs together and get a really dense black all around, and a pretty dense
      black on the image. I haven't tried making a plate with only the one
      transparency (printed twice), but that might actually work too. Now I'm
      going to try - today - with relatively small type.

      Sounds like a pain, but it's actually easy, fast, and efficient. It also
      solves the problem of the small wheels in the printer leaving clear dotted
      marks on the film - the ink staying wet longer on acetate. I actually move
      my second image (the "ghost" version) about 2/8 of an inch left or right in
      the file before printing, so that the wheels scrape the transparency at a
      different place than on the first transparency. Don't know if I'm making
      much sense right here, but if you are not having that problem, just discard
      this second paragraph!

      All the best >>> Jerome Curchod
    • Katie Harper
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 23 3:02 PM
        I just came from an all-day Adobe seminar. Many of the questions that have
        been bouncing around on this list were addressed, and I will try to dig
        through my notes to pass along the tips I learned. If you have a chance to
        see this dog and pony show from Adobe (it's free) I highly recommend it.
        It's useful not only to see what the newer technology can do, but to realize
        why they are building things the way they are, and how to utilize their
        software to increase productivity and efficiency for more fun and fewer
        headaches. Most of the day was devoted to In Design, which blows Quark and
        Pagemaker right out of the water in too many ways to mention.

        They also talked a lot about Acrobat 6 which is due out in May (still in
        beta they said) and yes, it will solve many of the problems that have
        plagued earlier versions and has way cool new features besides.

        Katie Harper