Letterpress course, Fall, Art Center

  • bielerpr
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 23, 2014
      Contemporary Studio LetterpressArt Center College of Design, Archetype Press, South Campus.
      950 South Raymond Avenue, Pasadena. California.
      A Public Programs course sponsored by Art Center at Night.
      [Offered by Gerald Lange at Art Center since 2002].

      —Fall, 2014. 14 weeks. Tuesday evenings, 7–10.
      September 9–December 9. [registration began August 11]
    • raulh
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 23, 2014
        Hello everyone:
        I recently purchase a Mercury Excelsior 6x10, but I need the chase.
        Does anybody has a chase for sale?
        Thanks in advance.
        Raul

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 23, 2014
          Raul,

          Check with Alan Runfeldt at Excelsior Press in New Jersey for a 6x10 Kelsey chase.
          Alan restores Kelsey presses and may have one on hand.
          Here's his contact info...

          908-627-2730
          alan@...

          Also, here is an excellent information sheet from David Rose that might give you lots of other leads as well:

          http://www.fiveroses.org/intro.htm

          Or, if you are going to be printing with photopolymer plates, you can use a base the size of a chase and just lock the base up like you would a chase...and use special foam gauge pins with it...(see more info about this technique at the excelsior press website listed above where they also sell the bases.)

          Finally, while you wait to find the perfect replacement chase, you can make a pretty worthy home made version of your own out of a sturdy piece of plywood. Just cut the perimeter the size necessary to fit in your press. Then take a jig saw and carefully cut out the center rectangle, leaving about 2" of plywood on all sides. This will give you a smaller area to put type in than a steel chase would, but it will also give you a workable chase immediately so that you can print something while you are searching for a steel chase!

          Hope this helps...
          Best wishes,

          --- Steve

          Steve Robison
          The Robison Press
          Belmont, California (25 miles south of San Francisco) &
          South Lake Tahoe, California (200 miles east of San Francisco)
          robisonsteve@...

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 25, 2014
            Hi Steve!
            I would like to thank you for your useful information.
            Really helpful!
            Regards,
            Raul.

            Sent on a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S® 5