AV Orbital VIII A3 - Exposure buzzer not working

  • enriquevw
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2014
      Hello everyone,

      This is my first topic here. I would like to ask if anyone here has an idea of why the buzzer for my unit's exposure timer doesn't work. It's sometimes hard to keep track of the 4 or 5 minutes and a buzzer definitely does help. The buzzer for the washout does work, but not the one for the exposure.
      Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on the subject.

      Enrique

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2014
          I agree with Gerald. It's a machine. Make sure your breaker is turned off (if you've got the machine hard-wired into your electrical box) or at least unplugged. Both timers are exactly the same part. We had a problem with the washout timer being very intermittent, and buzzing randomly. Turns out that some of the soldering joints in the timer units were a bit loose.

          We got a small soldering iron and re-soldered all the parts we could find in that unit and it's been running smoothly again for the first time in a year.

          The timer's aren't cheap if you have to replace them; I think they're well over $150. The soldering gun was $10.00, and took about 2 hours start to finish.

          bob atkins
          skylab letterpress
          kansas city missouri

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4, 2014
            I called AV, I've had no luck trying to locate the tech support person who could help me, he is always busy on the phone.
            I haven't befriended an electrician yet, but I could also learn some basics. :)
            A friend of mine recommended to test the connections with a voltmeter. I will buy one today and try figure out where the culprit is.
            The AV offices here recommended a technician who is external. I called him and it was pretty expensive, it sounds like he services machines for flexo companies who probably have a bigger budget for repairs, I am more interested in learning to do it myself so I can do repairs in the future.

            Thanks guys.
          • rdziesing
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 5, 2014
              This is about the simplest machine I have ever worked on. Get a friend who is handy, unplug it, take the front panel off, make sure to isolate any electrical leads that could touch ground while front is off. if it has a back timer, run that and see what buzzes when the cycle is over. You will likely have to disable the safety interlock. Once you find out what the buzzer looks like, go to the web and find one and order it. Or just swap it with the back timer buzzer if you don't use that cycle. Connect it and you are done. Do not buy parts from AV, they are more than outrageous.
            • enriquevw
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 6, 2014
                Ok, so the "problem" (or so I thought it was) with my AV Orbital is that there is no buzzer assigned to the exposure section, and apparently the "exposure start" push button was replaced with a toggle switch sometime ago by the previous owners. So when the exposure timer finished, the UV lamps stayed turn on.
                What I figured out is that since the push button was replaced with a toggle switch, when I turn on the exposure I have to immediately turn it off, so that once the timer finishes, the lamps turn off.

                I did however get a multimeter, and opened the top and front panel, which was nice because now I have a tool I might need in the future, and I've looked inside the machine and familiarized with it a little bit more.

                I do plan on replacing that toggle switch back to a correct push button.

                Thanks everyone for your comments and advice, it's great to be a part of this group.
              • parallel_imp
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 7, 2014
                  Is the AV timer digital? Analog timers like those on the Polimero lose accuracy as they age, just like the Gra-Lab timers once commonly used to control darkroom enlargers. The non-spring-driven Omega darkroom timers seem to age much better.
                  Regular testing is a good idea anyway, because timers can change, and lamps decrease in intensity, and together they control how much light gets to the plate. And the plates themselves can change from batch to batch.
                • Jonathan Jarvis