Re: Pagelayout Software

  • caldrich45
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 10, 2003
      The answer is that, yes, you should get identical results. The downside is that it is difficult in some cases and impossible in others to make changes on a pdf file or a postscript file, so the client is the one who must correct it and resubmit the file. Since most people are in such a hurry and want things so quickly, printers prefer a file that they can change, if the need arises. That way, their press schedules can remain intact.

      Some printers will also take pure poscript files and may even prefer that. You simply print the file to disk using the printer driver for your printer's imagesetter and skip the Acrobat Distiller step to create the pdf.

      Alas, I have seen fonts revert to Courier using this method, even though they are supposed to be embedded, as well as seen fonts do strange things in Acrobat. There are really no guarantees in the electronic realm, It's just not like having an immutable piece of film that will not change unless it is physically damaged.
    • Katie Harper
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 23, 2003
        I just came from an all-day Adobe seminar. Many of the questions that have
        been bouncing around on this list were addressed, and I will try to dig
        through my notes to pass along the tips I learned. If you have a chance to
        see this dog and pony show from Adobe (it's free) I highly recommend it.
        It's useful not only to see what the newer technology can do, but to realize
        why they are building things the way they are, and how to utilize their
        software to increase productivity and efficiency for more fun and fewer
        headaches. Most of the day was devoted to In Design, which blows Quark and
        Pagemaker right out of the water in too many ways to mention.

        They also talked a lot about Acrobat 6 which is due out in May (still in
        beta they said) and yes, it will solve many of the problems that have
        plagued earlier versions and has way cool new features besides.

        Katie Harper