Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Pagelayout Software

  • Bryan Hutcheson
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 10, 2003
      Postscript:

      Upgrades are ridiculous. Level 1 works fine for most applications and uses.
      The ³upgrades² that are forced onto the market are often times truly about
      upgrading one thing...profits for the software and hardware manufacturers.
      Remember the Illustrator ³upgrades² in the late 90¹s? They were more about
      changing the quick key functionality than true version upgrades.

      I will soon have my own in-house film capabilities (Linotype-Hell
      imagesetter, Kodak processor) I have worked extensively with AGFA, Linotype
      and Scitex systems. They all offer certain benefits. For simple film output,
      the basic rip and imagesetter should be fine. It¹s possible to work with
      virtually any service bureau. Knowing their limits and capabilities will aid
      you in file preparation...and eliminate a lot of headaches.

      There is a lot of film based equipment on the market lately as most offset
      printers are quickly making the jump to direct-to-plate technology. Recent
      advancements in this new technology are quickly leaving the average
      film-based printer with fewer options.

    • Katie Harper
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 23, 2003
        I just came from an all-day Adobe seminar. Many of the questions that have
        been bouncing around on this list were addressed, and I will try to dig
        through my notes to pass along the tips I learned. If you have a chance to
        see this dog and pony show from Adobe (it's free) I highly recommend it.
        It's useful not only to see what the newer technology can do, but to realize
        why they are building things the way they are, and how to utilize their
        software to increase productivity and efficiency for more fun and fewer
        headaches. Most of the day was devoted to In Design, which blows Quark and
        Pagemaker right out of the water in too many ways to mention.

        They also talked a lot about Acrobat 6 which is due out in May (still in
        beta they said) and yes, it will solve many of the problems that have
        plagued earlier versions and has way cool new features besides.

        Katie Harper