[PPLetterpress] Re: Pagelayout Software

  • drymartini@gmx.de
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 10, 2003
      Peter Fraterdeus wrote:

      >RIP is a Raster Image Processor, which interprets the "Page Description
      >Language (aka Postscript)" and produces a Very High Resolution bitmap
      >which is then translated by the imaging engine (with laser pulses, for
      >instance) to your film or other media.
      >
      >RIPs run Postscript, they're not "designed" for Quark or Pagemaker.

      Generally true, however it overlooks one important point, which is that
      there are different levels of PostScript. QuarkXPress and older RIPs
      only understand Level 1, the oldest version.

      But the latest and greatest Adobe programs like InDesign output advanced
      PostScript (called Level 2 and Level 3). To output Level 3 files you
      need a Level 3 RIP.

      It's understandable that printers who are too cheap to upgrade a RIP
      will want to stick to a Level 1 workflow as long as they can.

      >A proper Adobe Postscript interpreter will have no trouble at all with
      >a properly rendered PDF. In fact there is fundamentally no difference
      >between an EPS and a PDF except that the PDF has additional headers.
      >Both are pure postscript.

      PDF and PostScript share a graphics model, but are not the same.
      PostScript is a graphics programming language, PDF isn't.
    • Katie Harper
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 23, 2003
        I just came from an all-day Adobe seminar. Many of the questions that have
        been bouncing around on this list were addressed, and I will try to dig
        through my notes to pass along the tips I learned. If you have a chance to
        see this dog and pony show from Adobe (it's free) I highly recommend it.
        It's useful not only to see what the newer technology can do, but to realize
        why they are building things the way they are, and how to utilize their
        software to increase productivity and efficiency for more fun and fewer
        headaches. Most of the day was devoted to In Design, which blows Quark and
        Pagemaker right out of the water in too many ways to mention.

        They also talked a lot about Acrobat 6 which is due out in May (still in
        beta they said) and yes, it will solve many of the problems that have
        plagued earlier versions and has way cool new features besides.

        Katie Harper