Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Pagelayout Software

  • drymartini@gmx.de
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 10, 2003
      Katie Harper wrote:

      >Perhaps if there is someone on this list who does imagesetting, he/she could
      >explain to us the technical issues/ problems with certain files and why
      >these Nazi's are so fussy about Mac v. PC, Quark v. Pagemaker, etc.? Thanks.

      Well Katie, there are several reasons, some of them valid and some of
      them not.

      The first one is that most people working in pre-press have more
      experience by far in outputting QuarkXPress files on the Mac than they
      do in almost anything else. So they know what can lead to problems, and
      how to fix them.

      Analog to this, outputting from other applications is a source of
      potential errors, simply because the operators have less experience. If
      any conversion is involved, add more potential problems. If they have to
      use an unfamiliar platform (Windows), that's another potential source.
      So they try to minimise the risk of problems by sticking to what they
      know well.

      Note that this has nothing to do with any inherent qualities of the
      software ... perfect files can be made just as well in PageMaker under
      Windows as in Quark on the Mac, if the creator knows what s/he is doing.

      Another reason is that many shops will try to turn your files into
      something they can place in Quark anyway ... there are supposedly shops
      using Quark for imposition work ... the mind boggles at the mentality of
      these people.

      The final reason is that many shops just hate spending money and
      investing time to learn anything new. The 1992-vintage XPress-based
      workflow isn't broke, so why fix it? These are generally the ones still
      refusing PDF and demanding open XPress files. And in my view they are
      the ones which will not be around in fifteen years' time.

      Judging which reasons are valid and which are not is left as an exercise
      to the reader ;-)

      Gott grüß' die Kunst,
      Robbie
    • Katie Harper
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 23, 2003
        I just came from an all-day Adobe seminar. Many of the questions that have
        been bouncing around on this list were addressed, and I will try to dig
        through my notes to pass along the tips I learned. If you have a chance to
        see this dog and pony show from Adobe (it's free) I highly recommend it.
        It's useful not only to see what the newer technology can do, but to realize
        why they are building things the way they are, and how to utilize their
        software to increase productivity and efficiency for more fun and fewer
        headaches. Most of the day was devoted to In Design, which blows Quark and
        Pagemaker right out of the water in too many ways to mention.

        They also talked a lot about Acrobat 6 which is due out in May (still in
        beta they said) and yes, it will solve many of the problems that have
        plagued earlier versions and has way cool new features besides.

        Katie Harper