Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Nolan Proof press

  • typetom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 9, 2003
      To prevent most slurring on the Nolan, I use type-high bearers outside the
      print area on both sides of the type -- so the roller pinches the paper on
      the bearers before it rolls over the type. I use 18 point brass rule. They
      may leave an indentation in the paper, but they prevent the roller from
      bouncing up and down between lines of type (my roller is set somewhat
      loosely, so I can vary the paper weight and the packing which is several
      sheets added on top of the paper).

      I have seen a press like this adapted with a tympan and frisket for holding
      the paper in registration -- a simple hinged frame attached to a strip of
      furniture that is locked into one end of the press with a quoin. Seems to me
      a little cumbersome to open and close, with the roller in the way, but it
      ought to function about like a Washington press tympan, holding registration
      and make-ready.

      Best wishes, Tom

      Tom Parson
      Now It's Up To You Publications