Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Pagelayout Software

  • Katie Harper
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 10, 2003
      Zida:

      Your imagesetting service sounds like the "Soup Nazi" on Seinfeld. In the
      course of my commercial design and letterpress work, I deal regularly with
      several different output service bureaus, imagesetting services, offset
      printers and platemaking professionals, and have not had any problems with
      their trying to tell me they will or will not accept certain graphics files
      or formats (within reason, of course.) Perhaps I have just been lucky enough
      to deal with some of the better, more progressive people in this field, but
      most of the ones I deal with seem to have the attitude that they have to be
      able to accept whatever professional graphics files that clients give them
      in order to not lose customers to the competition. They do have certain
      guidelines, such as including all fonts and graphics in acceptable form,
      etc. It's possible that after I send them a file, they have to convert it to
      something else, as I sometimes do with my own customers, but I have not had
      them tell me they won't take it. That includes PDFs, Pagemaker and In Design
      files. (I did have an offset printer tell me recently that he preferred In
      Design to Pagemaker, but he didn't say why.)

      I'm surprised to hear that I get better service along these lines in the
      midwest than you do on the high tech West Coast.

      Perhaps if there is someone on this list who does imagesetting, he/she could
      explain to us the technical issues/ problems with certain files and why
      these Nazi's are so fussy about Mac v. PC, Quark v. Pagemaker, etc.? Thanks.

      Katie Harper

      5/11/03 1:16 AM, Zida Borcich at zida@... wrote:

      > Thanks Carole,
      >
      > Yes, I do use Acrobat a lot, but I understand that there are limitations
      > that prevent its being a viable alternative to "real" post scripted files.
      > That is, according to my imagesetter person, who may be slightly
      > prejudiced. Do you use Acrobat files for 2540 dpi negs to make
      > your photopolymer plates? Even with the screen settings, I think
      > there are problems. Anyone with proof to the contrary will be
      > happily welcomed. I love that program. But as a commercial (job)
      > letterpress printer, I deal more often with companies who only
      > want MAC EPS files, or Quark files. They turn their noses
      > up at PDFs, even more than they do at PageMaker.
      >
      > Best
      >
      > Zida
      >
      > Carole Aldrich wrote:
      >
      >> Zida
      >>
      >> I'm not a Windows person, put have you looked into the pdf format. Of
      >> course, you must have the full version of Acrobat to create print
      >> ready pdfs. But that is an option.
      >>
      >> Carole Aldrich
      >> --
      >> Carole M Aldrich
      >> Voice 909.625.7722
      >> Fax 909.625.9822
      >> carolealdrich@...

      >> • To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
      >> PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      >> • Encountering problems? contact:
      >> PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
      >> • To unsubscribe:

      > --
      > STUDIO Z MENDOCINO
      > Graphic Design & Fine Letterpress & Offset Printing
      > Visit our fabulous new web site at
      > http://www.studio-z.com
      > Tel: 707.964.2522 Fax 707.964.0850

      > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > • Encountering problems? contact:
      > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
      > • To unsubscribe:

      Katie Harper
      Ars Brevis Press
      Cincinnati, OH
      513-233-9588
      http://www.arsbrevispress.com
    • Katie Harper
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 23, 2003
        I just came from an all-day Adobe seminar. Many of the questions that have
        been bouncing around on this list were addressed, and I will try to dig
        through my notes to pass along the tips I learned. If you have a chance to
        see this dog and pony show from Adobe (it's free) I highly recommend it.
        It's useful not only to see what the newer technology can do, but to realize
        why they are building things the way they are, and how to utilize their
        software to increase productivity and efficiency for more fun and fewer
        headaches. Most of the day was devoted to In Design, which blows Quark and
        Pagemaker right out of the water in too many ways to mention.

        They also talked a lot about Acrobat 6 which is due out in May (still in
        beta they said) and yes, it will solve many of the problems that have
        plagued earlier versions and has way cool new features besides.

        Katie Harper