RE: [PPLetterpress] Re: Nolan Proof press

  • David Goodrich
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 9, 2003
      Jim,
      I submitted a few thoughts earlier based on my experience. Does your press
      have a roller about three inches in diameter with two steel rods that serve
      as handles to pull it across? That is the kind mine is, but the gripper you
      speak of makes it sound as if the paper would attach to a large roller as on
      a cylinder press.

      Mine is also open ended (to slide galleys in) but there are two removable
      pins at each end.

      I never could position paper accurately or do make ready so I later acquired
      a hand press. I think just about all the techniques applicable to a hand
      press would work on the proof press, the difference being how the impression
      is taken. If I were to again try to get good work out of the proof press I
      would fabricate some kind of tympan-frisket assembly. One problem is to
      keep the inked form from smearing on the paper as you lay it down. On a
      hand press this is remedied by attaching small strips of adhesive-backed
      insulating foam to the frisket around the form. Thus the paper is held
      above the type until the impression is taken. I would think this would also
      work on the proof press.

      You might want to consult Rummond's book on Printing with the Iron Hand
      Press for ideas.

      Incidentally, I was interested to learn that some of these were called "sign
      presses."
      I got mine to print signs from wood type.

      David

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 9, 2003
        In a message dated 4/9/2003 9:02:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        davidgoodrich@... writes:

        > Does your press
        > have a roller about three inches in diameter with two steel rods that serve
        > as handles to pull it across? That is the kind mine is, but the gripper
        > you
        > speak of makes it sound as if the paper would attach to a large roller as
        > on
        > a cylinder press.
        >
        > Incidentally, I was interested to learn that some of these were called
        > "sign
        > presses."
        > I got mine to print signs from wood type.

        David,

        First of all, yes, my press sounds like yours. It is a Nolan "Super Proofer".
        Second, here's a link to *exactly* the same press ive seen in operation with
        a gripper -- like I described in my last post:

        <A HREF="http://www.donblack.ca/db/equipment-detail.asp?Link=022">http://www.donblack.ca/db/equipment-detail.asp?Link=022</A>

        This is a small sign press, with a bed approx. 8x12. Look at the black knob &
        lever on the far left side. That lever arm simply articulates (opens) the
        spring loaded gripper fingers (there are 4 you can see). The whole gripper
        assembly there is not type high, so the roller (on the far side of the image)
        backs up and basically sets ready directly above the gripper. You open the
        gripper, align your sheet (to the back of the gripper and along the edge of
        the bed wall, or whatever suits you), and then make the impression. This also
        allows consistent placement of the sheets as well.

        Yes, slurring would occur without tympan and frisket. This is certainly the
        lowest of low tech for making quality impressions. But this thing does do the
        gripping job well, and since it's slightly under type high, it doesnt
        interfere with anything else. Because it's such a small press, you can even
        hold the paper and guide it down while you make the impression, minimizing
        any slurring. But I digress...

        Ive seen tympan & frisket setups for larger proof presses, and will likely
        get there eventually. Like Greg Shattemburg's setup:

        <A HREF="http://www.megalink.net/~shattenb/proof/proof.htm">http://www.megalink.net/~shattenb/proof/proof.htm</A>

        But for now, I'm just concerned with holding the paper tightly, since making
        an impression on a 13x26 proofer is much different than gripping a small
        sheet!

        And yes, I understand that they were called sign presses since many were sold
        to retail stores, department stores, etc. with a simple set of precast blocks
        ("sale", "this rack", "today only") and a set of metal type for making
        prices, etc. If you look at the image, the teeth along the sides of the bed
        and the bars crossing were part of a simple grid locking system so novices
        could easily setup for making the simplest of displays...

        Jim

      • typetom@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 9, 2003
          To prevent most slurring on the Nolan, I use type-high bearers outside the
          print area on both sides of the type -- so the roller pinches the paper on
          the bearers before it rolls over the type. I use 18 point brass rule. They
          may leave an indentation in the paper, but they prevent the roller from
          bouncing up and down between lines of type (my roller is set somewhat
          loosely, so I can vary the paper weight and the packing which is several
          sheets added on top of the paper).

          I have seen a press like this adapted with a tympan and frisket for holding
          the paper in registration -- a simple hinged frame attached to a strip of
          furniture that is locked into one end of the press with a quoin. Seems to me
          a little cumbersome to open and close, with the roller in the way, but it
          ought to function about like a Washington press tympan, holding registration
          and make-ready.

          Best wishes, Tom

          Tom Parson
          Now It's Up To You Publications