PP and the EPA

  • bielerpr
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4, 2013
      Just a note to photopolymer plate processors and especially to DIYers. You might need and air mask. The EPA does not find the PP process to be all that friendly to air quality. They have torn my shop apart this week; removing all chemicals, solvents, etc, to an offsite warehouse, pulled cabinets and shelving from the walls, etc., in preparation for an air quality test they will be conducting on every unit in the entire complex. They have forbidden me to process plates on the day of testing as it might interfere with their testing device.

      Okay, I saw the meter kick up when they passed it over the bath. Nothing else in the shop did that, nothing; and, before they removed it all, I had some nasty stuff in there. And their meter had no problem with that stuff.

      Not a happy camper.

      Gerald
    • Kevin Martin
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 5, 2013
        It all depends on what their meter was testing for. From what you say they seem to be more interested in emissions from the building itself rather than from its contents, so they might be looking for radon (from the ground) or formaldehyde (from urea-formaldehyde insulation). I find it at least a bit plausible that the PP washout bath might give off a bit of formaldehyde.

        -Kevin Martin
        the Papertrail Handmade Paper & Book Arts
        New Dundee, Ontario
        www.papertrail.ca

        Just a note to photopolymer plate processors and especially to DIYers. You might need and air mask. The EPA does not find the PP process to be all that friendly to air quality. They have torn my shop apart this week; removing all chemicals, solvents, etc, to an offsite warehouse, pulled cabinets and shelving from the walls, etc., in preparation for an air quality test they will be conducting on every unit in the entire complex. They have forbidden me to process plates on the day of testing as it might interfere with their testing device.

        Okay, I saw the meter kick up when they passed it over the bath. Nothing else in the shop did that, nothing; and, before they removed it all, I had some nasty stuff in there. And their meter had no problem with that stuff.

        Not a happy camper.

      • Casey McGarr
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 5, 2013
          Sorry to hear the news Gerald, hopefully after proper exposure to your studio they'll washout after you brush them off.

          Kissing the Paper With Inky Lips®
          . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

          Casey McGarr
          Inky Lips Letterpress
          Letterpress Design & Printing
          McKinney, Texas

          469-215-4091

          Voted “Best Pied Type Sorter” 2012

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 5, 2013
            There's certainly a rather strong stink to the stuff.
            I don't notice it much any more, but visitors will commonly wrinkle the nose.

            Sorry for the headaches, Gerald.
            Got a few of my own here, looking for new digs for the studio.
            Had a line on a nice ground level former plumber's garage (three bay), but the remodeling costs look prohibitive.

            Facing an Oct 1 deadline. May have to farm out some job work just to keep our brand going, since it's looking unlikely that we will not be facing a pretty substantial delay of business. Arrgh.

            Thanks all

            PF

            On 5 Sep 2013, at 12:11 AM, bielerpr wrote:

            > Just a note to photopolymer plate processors and especially to DIYers. You might need and air mask. The EPA does not find the PP process to be all that friendly to air quality. They have torn my shop apart this week; removing all chemicals, solvents, etc, to an offsite warehouse, pulled cabinets and shelving from the walls, etc., in preparation for an air quality test they will be conducting on every unit in the entire complex. They have forbidden me to process plates on the day of testing as it might interfere with their testing device.
            >
            > Okay, I saw the meter kick up when they passed it over the bath. Nothing else in the shop did that, nothing; and, before they removed it all, I had some nasty stuff in there. And their meter had no problem with that stuff.
            >
            > Not a happy camper.
            >
            > Gerald
          • Bill
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 5, 2013
              Gerald and Peter

              What have the Titans of Letterpress done to anger the Gods?

              Years ago I had OSHA show up at the studio causing extreme pain.  I survived.  They were cranky about wiring.

              Peter, my studio is moving this month.  I have plenty of room if you want to move to western Massachusetts.   I am moving from a 500 sq. ft. studio in a basement to 2200 sq. ft fifth floor space with windows and amazing freight elevators.

              Hopefully by October I will have the Intertype up and running and casting Hebrew type.

              So the big question is why did the EPA show up?

              Thanks

              Bill
              Big Wheel Press
              The Hebrew Press

              Sent from my iPad

              On Sep 5, 2013, at 10:09 AM, Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@...> wrote:

              There's certainly a rather strong stink to the stuff.
              I don't notice it much any more, but visitors will commonly wrinkle the nose.

              Sorry for the headaches, Gerald.
              Got a few of my own here, looking for new digs for the studio.
              Had a line on a nice ground level former plumber's garage (three bay), but the remodeling costs look prohibitive.

              Facing an Oct 1 deadline. May have to farm out some job work just to keep our brand going, since it's looking unlikely that we will not be facing a pretty substantial delay of business. Arrgh.

              Thanks all

              PF

              On 5 Sep 2013, at 12:11 AM, bielerpr wrote:

              > Just a note to photopolymer plate processors and especially to DIYers. You might need and air mask. The EPA does not find the PP process to be all that friendly to air quality. They have torn my shop apart this week; removing all chemicals, solvents, etc, to an offsite warehouse, pulled cabinets and shelving from the walls, etc., in preparation for an air quality test they will be conducting on every unit in the entire complex. They have forbidden me to process plates on the day of testing as it might interfere with their testing device.
              >
              > Okay, I saw the meter kick up when they passed it over the bath. Nothing else in the shop did that, nothing; and, before they removed it all, I had some nasty stuff in there. And their meter had no problem with that stuff.
              >
              > Not a happy camper.
              >
              > Gerald

            • Charles Jones
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5, 2013
                Re: Testing for air quality

                I recently returned to my press studio after being gone for 6 weeks or so. I have photopolymer plates and various solvents, California wash and kerosene, along with a variety of inks. I have processing eq. platemaker, laser printer, the usual.
                Last spring I had a project that called for silkscreen printing and I had stored the materials, inks, screen emulsion, cleaner, all in a glass front cabinet that had  the particle board shelving clad with enamel that is so common today. The shelve the screen cleaner was on had turned yellow and melted and there was damage to the other shelves in the unit.

                My point is every town, large or small has silk screen printing shops turning out tons of tee shirts and other stuff. There is the real danger; why pick on letterpress shops and photography studios?

                C harles Jones
                LaNana Creek Press

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 5, 2013
                  Hi all

                  Well, it isn't specifically directed at me or letterpress. There are over two dozen businesses in the four complexes here and we all have to comply.  When I moved in twenty years ago it was primary industrial, now it is primarily high tech design firms. I am the only printer left. But I've obviously got a lot more nasty stuff than most. One firm had to give up its Goo Be Gone!

                  The building I am in is about a hundred years old. About sixty years ago, in an adjacent lot, there was a company that made those big electrical transformers. They dumped their waste directly into the ground. So that lot and part of ours have severely contaminated dirt. The government started a leaching program maybe six or seven years ago. The current testing is to determine how effective that was in regard to the outlying buildings. All of this other stuff is to try and normalize everything so that nothing "organically volatile" will effect the test readings. They are specifically concerned about products containing PCE and/or TCE. I don't have anything like that. These are chemicals commonly found in auto/boat repair products. There is a neighbor who does part-time custom boat repair and another who restores vintage autos. They are basically shut down for the duration. I was allowed to process plates this morning but no further until the testing is completed.

                  If the testing reveals anomalies the landlord will have to address this. They will test again in the winter. If problems persist they will demolish the buildings effected. Yesterday they were patching up the concrete floors in here!!! and my wife's antique Lane chest got dinged. She is so pissed.

                  That's it. Still, I am quite surprised about the photopolymer plate thing.

                  Gerald

                   On 9/5/13 7:46 AM, Bill wrote:

                  Gerald and Peter

                  What have the Titans of Letterpress done to anger the Gods?

                  Years ago I had OSHA show up at the studio causing extreme pain.  I survived.  They were cranky about wiring.

                  Peter, my studio is moving this month.  I have plenty of room if you want to move to western Massachusetts.   I am moving from a 500 sq. ft. studio in a basement to 2200 sq. ft fifth floor space with windows and amazing freight elevators.

                  Hopefully by October I will have the Intertype up and running and casting Hebrew type.

                  So the big question is why did the EPA show up?

                  Thanks

                  Bill
                  Big Wheel Press
                  The Hebrew Press

                  Sent from my iPad

                  On Sep 5, 2013, at 10:09 AM, Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@...> wrote:

                  There's certainly a rather strong stink to the stuff.
                  I don't notice it much any more, but visitors will commonly wrinkle the nose.

                  Sorry for the headaches, Gerald.
                  Got a few of my own here, looking for new digs for the studio.
                  Had a line on a nice ground level former plumber's garage (three bay), but the remodeling costs look prohibitive.

                  Facing an Oct 1 deadline. May have to farm out some job work just to keep our brand going, since it's looking unlikely that we will not be facing a pretty substantial delay of business. Arrgh.

                  Thanks all

                  PF

                  On 5 Sep 2013, at 12:11 AM, bielerpr wrote:

                  > Just a note to photopolymer plate processors and especially to DIYers. You might need and air mask. The EPA does not find the PP process to be all that friendly to air quality. They have torn my shop apart this week; removing all chemicals, solvents, etc, to an offsite warehouse, pulled cabinets and shelving from the walls, etc., in preparation for an air quality test they will be conducting on every unit in the entire complex. They have forbidden me to process plates on the day of testing as it might interfere with their testing device.
                  >
                  > Okay, I saw the meter kick up when they passed it over the bath. Nothing else in the shop did that, nothing; and, before they removed it all, I had some nasty stuff in there. And their meter had no problem with that stuff.
                  >
                  > Not a happy camper.
                  >
                  > Gerald

                • Scott Rubel