Re: Does the emulsion side of film matter?

  • Christian Morrison
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 26, 2013
      Yes, your lines will be bolder, type will appear bolder. It's a function of exposing through a very thin layer that acts like a spacer.
    • Ian Bristow
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 26, 2013
        Thanks!

        This is what I had thought was going on. I have had issues lately and was wondering what it was, I will keep scratch testing my film
        to ensure the emulsion is right.

        Cheers
        Ian

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 27, 2013
          Ian

          Your film should have a discernible dull (emulsion) side and a glossy side. If not, besides scratching, a little trick that can help is to put a small capital K or R or similar character off to the side of your file. It will appear noticeably on the film as either right or wrong reading. This would especially help if there is no text on the film. You could block the letter out with a small piece of ruby red lithographers tape (on the glossy side) or scrape from the plate before curing (drying).

          3M makes a pretty good litho tape (Scotch #616, "Paklon").

          Gerald

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Ian Bristow <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:

          > Thanks!
          >
          > This is what I had thought was going on. I have had issues lately and was wondering what it was, I will keep scratch testing my film
          > to ensure the emulsion is right.
          >
          > Cheers
          > Ian

        • Eric
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 28, 2013
            Gerald, how can any element of the image indicate emulsion side? Service bureau can do output correctly for letterpress, right-reading emulsion-up, or more often from a industry standpoint, correctly for offset, right-reading emulsion-down, from the very same file images.
            Scratch test is definitive for emulsion.
            I haven't tried this with processed film, but in the darkroom a way to tell emulsion side of raw film was to close your lips over a corner of the sheet. The inner miuth would stick to the emulsion side.
            --Eic Holub, SF
          • Ed Inman
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 28, 2013
              Can't say I've ever put film to my lips, but just about any Lith or Rapid Access film I've seen will be dark on the base side and lighter on the emulsion side under a standard ortho red safelight. I used lith film for years but recently changed to Rapid Access Hard Dot film. I like it because it exposes and develops faster and the chemistry is less expensive and more stable--no more having to mix & discard one-shot A&B solutions. --Ed