Re: [PPLetterpress] Which are more legible serif or sans serif typefaces?

  • Lola Espinosa
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2013
      Thanks Mirka,  it is very interesting.

      2013/6/15 Mirka <mirka_hokkanen@...>

      Here is an interesting article in case anyone is interested:

      http://alexpoole.info/blog/which-are-more-legible-serif-or-sans-serif-typefaces/

    • author50401
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 17, 2013
        Miles Tinker's book was still the primary study I was given in the 1970s when I was in journalism school. His concept that people preferred serif faces for text was based on studies in a time when almost everything of any volume of text was still set in serif faces. All my early education textbooks were serif faces. How many of you are old enough to remember Tom, Dick and Jane? Those early readers were all set in Century Schoolbook (or similar). That early intro to serif faces more than likely provided a basis for the preference.

        My preference is still for serif faces, and I have never set book pages in sans serif. I recall one of my fellow students in a typography class in 1974, Allan Kornblum, set a small chapbook in Futura and it looked quite odd to me. It was quite avant garde at the time, and sans faces were generally reserved for magazines and advertising.

        I think sans faces are readily received today and probably there is little difference in legibility or readability.

        John Henry

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 26, 2013
          Mirka

          Thanks for the article. An interest of mine. I've read most of the studies.

          There has been a recent typeface designed for dyslexic readers though that ignores the distinction and concentrates on various attributes of letterforms (sometimes twisting them on their heads, turning them around, etc.) that has somewhat thrown all of this in the dumpster.

          In terms of legibility or readability, Emigre made the claim that what is most familiar is most legible or readable. Not a fan but likely, they were right. During the German invasion of Norway the Nazis actually had to go to the extreme of banning blackletter because the Norwegians were so unfamiliar with it they could not respond to posted dictates. Plus it would have been a major pain on the part of the foundries to retrofit blackletter faces with all the required character accents. So, Hitler etal declared Germany's greatest typographic triumph as Jewish in origin and were done with it in one fell swoop. Someone should inform the skinheads.

          Gerald

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Mirka" <mirka_hokkanen@...> wrote:

          > Here is an interesting article in case anyone is interested:
          >
          > http://alexpoole.info/blog/which-are-more-legible-serif-or-sans-serif-typefaces/

        • Mirka Hokkanen
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 27, 2013
            Thats interesting Gerald, thank you for the comments! Im living in Germany right now, so those issues can be a little touchy ask the local letterpress workshop about. ;)

            Mirka