RE: [PPLetterpress] PDT to be available in ebook format

  • Michael Phillips
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 9, 2013
      thanks Chad, yes we will share

      To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      From: chad@...
      Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 20:45:12 -0400
      Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] PDT to be available in ebook format

      Ha! That is going way back!

      I'm glad though that your effort will make it to paper, especially after the amount of work that has gone into such a resource. Yes, I can access many specimen books and treatises on printing and binding online but if I have a paper copy that's the first place I look.

      ________________________
      Chad Pastotnik
      Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
      website: http://www.deepwoodpress.com
      blog: http://deepwoodpress.wordpress.com/

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 12, 2013
        Chad

        Hey, thanks for the response. More soul searching though. Hell, it ran for 13 years. I guess there was a reason I let it sit, primarily I think was the direction all this is now headed, which has nothing to do with the intention of the book.

        Gerald

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Chad Pastotnik <chad@...> wrote:

        > Ha! That is going way back!
        >
        > I'm glad though that your effort will make it to paper, especially after the amount of work that has gone into such a resource. Yes, I can access many specimen books and treatises on printing and binding online but if I have a paper copy that's the first place I look.
        >

        > ________________________
        > Chad Pastotnik
        > Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
        > website: http://www.deepwoodpress.com
        > blog: http://deepwoodpress.wordpress.com/
        >
        > On Jun 9, 2013, at 5:50 AM, Gerald Lange <Bieler@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hey Chad
        > >
        > > Going way back there for this one. Yup. Initially I thought just let it go out of print. Then I thought why not just do the e-book thing, and not have to worry about it anymore.
        > >
        > > The more time I spent on that, formatting and re-formatting, working out the logistics, I began to realize, ya know, this is what is wrong. Especially to the buyer (if the hardware or software changes, there are problems) and I do not inherently trust the internet nor any of the folks working it. Sort of a relief to let that go actually. Plus, hey, I like real books.
        > >
        > > So, the fifth (maybe I should take that) edition will be issued in print mode (ya know, paper, ink, binding thread). Might take a bit though.
        > >
        > > Gerald
        > >
        > > http://bielerpressxi.blogspot.com/2006/07/printing-digital-type-on-hand-operated.html
        > >

        > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Chad Pastotnik <chad@> wrote:
        > >>
        > >> Ouch.
        > >>
        > >> ___________________________
        > >> Chad Pastotnik
        > >> Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
        > >> http://www.deepwoodpress.com

      • Silber MaiKätzchen
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 12, 2013
          I have spent four years locating as many fonts of Intertype Medieval and Vogue
          as I could along with their sorts, redrawing the glyphs and digitizing them into
          new fonts.

          I now have fifteen fonts in text suitable versions, (for up to 14 point,) and twenty-
          one fonts in display suitable versions, (14 point and larger.) The new fonts reproduce
          identically to their hot metal counterparts, and have not been modernized or "adapted"
          to digital production.

          As to Vogue Magazines claim  to the copyright on the font, their legal department
          sent me a kind letter saying they have no interest since it was Intertype and ATF
          who designed the fonts. I have repeatedly sent requests for Heidelberg's permission
          to reproduce the faces both to the US and DE offices, but after three months I
          have gotten no reply from them expressing any interest to the fonts being reproduced
          or any claim to the copyright. (Lots of sales literature on their other products though.)

          I am wondering if there is a digital foundry that I could entice to handling the distri-
          bution of these faces; and how to find them.

          MaiKätzchen

          Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
          Carpe diem!
          quam minimum credula postero!

          Horace
          Odes Book I

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 12, 2013
            Silber

            You could contact Richard Kegler at P22. I think he is a member of this list. Not sure he would take this on, but he would certainly be worth talking to.

            Gerald

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Silber MaiKätzchen <maykitten1@...> wrote:

            > I have spent four years locating as many fonts of Intertype Medieval and Vogue
            >
            > as I couldalong with their sorts, redrawing the glyphs and digitizing them into
            >
            > new fonts.
            >
            > I now have fifteen fonts in text suitable versions, (for up to 14 point,) and twenty-
            > one fonts in display suitable versions, (14 point and larger.) The new fonts reproduce
            >
            > identically to their hot metal counterparts, and have not been modernized or "adapted"
            >
            > to digital production.
            >
            > As to Vogue Magazines claim  to the copyright on the font, their legal department
            >
            > sent me a kind letter saying they have no interest since it was Intertype and ATF
            >
            > who designed the fonts. I have repeatedly sent requests for Heidelberg's permission
            >
            > to reproduce the faces both to the US and DE offices, but after three months I
            >
            > have gotten no reply from them expressing any interest to the fonts being reproduced
            >
            > or any claim to the copyright. (Lots of sales literature on their other products though.)
            >
            > I am wondering if there is a digital foundry that I could entice to handling the distri-
            > bution of these faces; and how to find them.
            >

            > MaiKätzchen
            >

            > Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
            > Carpe diem!
            > quam minimum credula postero!
            >
            > Horace
            > Odes Book I

          • grove_08
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 12, 2013
              Silber, you might also try MyFonts.com. In fact P22 Foundry sells their fonts through MyFonts.com
              They are a good venue for individual font designers.
              You can find their prospectus here:
              http://www.myfonts.com/info/prospectus/
              In their words:
              MyFonts, the web site with the largest collection of fonts, has a track record of selling fonts to hundreds of thousands of users ranging from those who have never bought a font before to professional designers and advertising agencies.
              Participation is open to font foundries large and small, including individual designers. A simple review process ensures that your fonts meet the standards required.
              Good luck, Grover

              > Silber
              >
              > You could contact Richard Kegler at P22. I think he is a member of this list. Not sure he would take this on, but he would certainly be worth talking to.
              >
              > Gerald
              >

              > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Silber MaiKätzchen <maykitten1@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have spent four years locating as many fonts of Intertype Medieval and Vogue
              > >
              > > as I couldalong with their sorts, redrawing the glyphs and digitizing them into
              > >
              > > new fonts.
              > >
              > > I now have fifteen fonts in text suitable versions, (for up to 14 point,) and twenty-
              > > one fonts in display suitable versions, (14 point and larger.) The new fonts reproduce
              > >
              > > identically to their hot metal counterparts, and have not been modernized or "adapted"
              > >
              > > to digital production.
              > >
              > > As to Vogue Magazines claim  to the copyright on the font, their legal department
              > >
              > > sent me a kind letter saying they have no interest since it was Intertype and ATF
              > >
              > > who designed the fonts. I have repeatedly sent requests for Heidelberg's permission
              > >
              > > to reproduce the faces both to the US and DE offices, but after three months I
              > >
              > > have gotten no reply from them expressing any interest to the fonts being reproduced
              > >
              > > or any claim to the copyright. (Lots of sales literature on their other products though.)
              > >
              > > I am wondering if there is a digital foundry that I could entice to handling the distri-
              > > bution of these faces; and how to find them.
              > >

              > > MaiKätzchen
              > >

              > > Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
              > > Carpe diem!
              > > quam minimum credula postero!
              > >
              > > Horace
              > > Odes Book I

            • JS
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 13, 2013
                I was going to say the same thing. MyFonts is always my go-to place to look for a new font for a project. They are GREAT! Easy to work with, HUGE variety of fonts, and I've never been disappointed (except when I can't afford a font I want!) Go to myfonts.com and have a look.
                Good luck,
                Jennifer