SlowPrint Letterpress Master Class 21-23 June

    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2013
      Get three days of total Letterpress immersion at SlowPrint!
      Windmill, Vandercook, Miehle Vertical, C&P Gordon, problem solving, mechanical pointers, ink, trimming tricks and troubles, etc.

      We've got three slots open with a maximum of four in the class.
      Please see http://slowprint.com/letterpress-master-classes

      SlowPrint is in Dubuque, Iowa, three hours west of Chicago, and just over an hour or so by car north of Mount Pleasant, Iowa, where Type on the Cob will be held the following weekend.
      We'd love to see you if you're in the area!

      Comments from participants in the May 2013 Master Class:

      Every aspect met my expectations and more...
      Your passion, love for the history, and detail craftsmanship was infectious and came through while communicating techniques.

      Q:What were the best aspects of the class for you?
      The hands on. Actually running the press and problem solving. The best thing was having a two-sided project with an die cut that the die was a bit off. Multiple issues to problem solve. I was able to learn a lot in a very short time with these challenges which I wouldn't have if it was a simple one sided project. I would highly suggest to use the same project in other classes or something with a lot of challenges. And the excellent coffee and fiddle playing!
      – Dean Wilder, Art Director, Designer (Phoenix, AZ)

      I was looking to learn more about the press and its operation as well as get an overview of the entire process from design to print and that's what I got.
      Peter was very open to questions and willing to take the class to whatever subjects each of the participants required.
      - Jeremy Aslesen, Letterpress Production Manager, Carlson Craft (Mankato, MN)

      <<<<

      The complete May 2013 Syllabus is available online at
      https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nwszve6hoco5n6a/MlwARDSnCC
      Feel free to share the link, but don't republish the files!

      However, we customize the content of the class for every group, taking each participants goals and experience into account.

      We're uncertain at this time whether we'll be able to run another class in our current beautiful warehouse venue, as the building is up for possible 'renovation'.

      More info:
      http://slowprint.com/letterpress-master-classes
      http://www.briarpress.org/34135

      SlowPrint welcomes private students of letterpress and typography at all levels into SlowPrint’s Dubuque studio for intimate three-to-five day intensive work sessions. Peter Fraterdeus has taught at Chicago’s School of the Art Institute, Columbia College Center for Book & Paper Art, Colorado College, IUAV (Treviso, Italy), and many other venues.

      He has received two National Endowment fellowships in the book arts (Calligraphy – Crafts Apprenticeship Grant (1981) and Type Design – Design Project Grant(1985)) and believes that typography is an information art quite distinct from graphic design.

      Unique Dubuque!
      SlowPrint is conveniently located in the center of Dubuque’s up and coming Historic Millwork Arts District, around the corner from the newly renovated Caradco Building, and the Voices Warehouse Gallery. We’re a stone’s throw from the Mississippi River, with its bald eagles, backwater canoeing, ancient bluffs, indigenous history, and quaint river towns.

      Peter Fraterdeus
      Slowprint.com : Commercial High-touch Letterpress

      IdeasWords : Idea Swords
      Semiotx.com @ideaswords