Re: [PPLetterpress] Emulsion

  • lunalux
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2001
      Mr. Cabral wrote that he places his negatives "Right reading emulsion
      Down", for ten years I have always exposed my plates emulsion to plate
      and it is always "Right -reading emulsion Up", so the plate reads
      "backwards" so as to have it print correctly on the letterpress. Offset
      printers use RRE Down to expose their plates, so sometimes service
      bureaus get confused and send you the wrong orientation of negative
      since their usual order is for offset printing. But relief plates need
      to be exposed RRE Up. Problems arise when the negative is created
      incorrectly or placed incorrectly on the plate, the emulsion is not
      directly against the plate material, causing an "out of focus" situation
      due to the thickness of the negative material, resulting in a blurry
      plate. - Tim G
    • Frank Cabral
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 29, 2001
        Hello
        I wrote that note too quickly, excuse me. The film we make is made right
        reading emulsion up and when exposing the plates the emulsion faces the
        plate material. Thank you Tim for the correction.
        Frank

        lunalux wrote:

        > Mr. Cabral wrote that he places his negatives "Right reading emulsion
        > Down", for ten years I have always exposed my plates emulsion to plate
        > and it is always "Right -reading emulsion Up", so the plate reads
        > "backwards" so as to have it print correctly on the letterpress. Offset
        > printers use RRE Down to expose their plates, so sometimes service
        > bureaus get confused and send you the wrong orientation of negative
        > since their usual order is for offset printing. But relief plates need
        > to be exposed RRE Up. Problems arise when the negative is created
        > incorrectly or placed incorrectly on the plate, the emulsion is not
        > directly against the plate material, causing an "out of focus" situation
        > due to the thickness of the negative material, resulting in a blurry
        > plate. - Tim G
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        [Image]