Re: Hello, Plate maker etc!

  • Sandra Youngblood
    Message 1 of 11 , May 4, 2013
      Dear Taylor,

      When I bought my C&P Pilot from eBay, the seller was in Colorado and I needed it freighted to TX.  I did on line research and found this website: http://www.uship.com/find.  I posted the Pilot's dimensions, weight, pickup and delivery info, packing specifics (needed crating, etc.) and put it up for bid.  You can check the bidder's feedback and determine the best price accordingly.  My UShip transaction went flawlessly; the transporter kept in touch with me via cell phone every step. Definitely worth a shot.

      Best of luck to you.

      Sandra
    • Scott Rubel

          Message 4 of 11 , May 5, 2013
            My experience with Freightquote.com is just the opposite. I have had excellent service from them. Often the problem is with the carrier and not the broker, as Freightquote does not operate the actual equipment but merely books the services as needed with various freight carriers.

            Fritz

            Message 5 of 11 , May 5, 2013
              I did have good experiences with Freightquote a few times until they did this to me. What they did was quote me a commercial price and then charge me residential after the item had been delivered. I understand that this was probably carrier's fault originally, but it was Freightquote that should have stuck to their price.

              When I checked on the address, there was no reason for it to be classified residential, even though it was technically in a residential district. There was a loading dock and forklift and room for the truck. No extra hassle for the carrier. On my end it was commercial as well.

              When I tried to get refunded they would not budge. If there was something in the contract I signed that said the price could possibly go up $150, I could not find it, and they could not point it out.

              Even though $150 was a big deal to me, it's amazing how little a repeat customer can be worth to a company.

              So, Freightquote may be great most of the time, but they won't stand behind their quotes when they make a mistake. As rare as an error may be, that is just bad behavior for any kind of company.

              --Scott

              Message 6 of 11 , May 5, 2013
                Well, my quote from Freightquote was not really helpful... 700 and they won't get it unless someone crates it. I am waiting for a quote from Freighters and Craters and have a listing on Uship. If I didn't have small children and the stationery show coming up in a 2 weeks I'd go get the darn thing myself. I also have a wonderful friend who does a lot of shipping she can get it to the public dock here in Missoula for 450 if again I can find someone to crate it for me. Does anyone know, do the wheels come off and or lock on the jet 750?

                Thanks for all the comments thus far.. I am so antsy to try it out!

                Hope you all are getting some of this amazing weather we are having... Finally!

                Taylor

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Fritz Klinke" <nagraph@...> wrote:

                > My experience with Freightquote.com is just the opposite. I have had excellent service from them. Often the problem is with the carrier and not the broker, as Freightquote does not operate the actual equipment but merely books the services as needed with various freight carriers.
                >
                > Fritz

              • 95a7357b73616968701f9ec864195ac7
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 16, 2014
                  Dear Rod Grantham,

                  I'm new to PP processing for purposes of letterpress printing.

                  Could I ask:

                  1. Are you using a RIP to maximise results from your Epson printer?
                  2. You mentioned that there are multiple brands of inkjet transparencies. I noted that Valley Litho no longer sells Bab's Waterproof on ebay (only non waterproof is available). Is the non waterproof version OK? If not, would you suggest any other alternatives?
                  3. I understand you are using liquid PP. Do you think results be any different if I use PP Plate (typical letterpress PP eg. toyobo printight, abt 0.95-1.52mm thickness)?

                  I've been researching for quite a while, and am fast concluding that inkjet film is probably the best way to go (vs laser printing / laser engraving)

                  Thank you so much.

                  Jorge
                • Silber MaiKätzchen
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 16, 2014
                    I like to use Agfa's Myraid II film in matte, available in the US from Xante I use a
                    Xante Platemaker 5 to print them, and the quality is fantastic. I use 2400 DPI resolution
                    for halftones and 1200 DPI for line and type.

                    Cost per 8.5"X11" matte neg/pos film $ 0.46,
                    Cost per 11"x17" matte neg/pos film $ 0.91
                    Cost per 11"x18.5" plate (A. B. Dick 360W) $ 1.36
                    Cost per 13.875"x19.375" plate (A. B. Dick 9800 series) $ 1.77

                    See: http://www.xante.com/

                    Note 1: Myraid film will not play nice with the Xante Platemaker 6
                    Note 2: The Xante Platemeker 6 is a &#% %*@# piece of merda vaffunculu. (Hearsay testimony
                    from user.)

                    Combined with the Epson 10000xl scanner, Quark Xpress and Photoshop you can
                    image anything.

                    MaiKätzchen

                    Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
                    Carpe diem!