Hello, Plate maker etc!

  • taybarrett
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2013
      Hi,

      It has been a number of years since I have posted here. But alas I find myself in deep once again!.. Story of my life really!

      Yesterday I purchased a Jet 750 Plate maker on EBay... Yikes! I just couldn't resist. I am so excited to have the freedom/knowledge that comes with it even if there are trials along the way. I do not yet have an imagesetting system and was thinking I'd start using inkjet film as I have an Epson 1280 that I think will work. Has anyone experimented with plates from the xerox phaser 7800? (I have read the previous thread on this but any updated info would be greatly appreciated.)

      But to the issue closest at hand... Does anyone have any shipping suggestions? or is interested in taking a road trip? I need to get said item from Maryland to Missoula, Montana... Sometime in the next 30 days. When I bought my first press almost 10 years ago, it too came from Maryland and I paid 800 split with seller to move the 1200 lb vandercook by freight... That was a good deal all around.

      Advice, comments... ridicule ... Graciously Accepted!

      Best Taylor
    • taybarrett
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2013
        Amendment to above...

        Does anyone know someone in the Maryland area that I could pay to crate an item for me? Getting a quote from Craters & Freighters... but maybe someone who does odd jobs.

        Taylor

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "taybarrett" <taylor@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > It has been a number of years since I have posted here. But alas I find myself in deep once again!.. Story of my life really!
        >
        > Yesterday I purchased a Jet 750 Plate maker on EBay... Yikes! I just couldn't resist. I am so excited to have the freedom/knowledge that comes with it even if there are trials along the way. I do not yet have an imagesetting system and was thinking I'd start using inkjet film as I have an Epson 1280 that I think will work. Has anyone experimented with plates from the xerox phaser 7800? (I have read the previous thread on this but any updated info would be greatly appreciated.)
        >
        > But to the issue closest at hand... Does anyone have any shipping suggestions? or is interested in taking a road trip? I need to get said item from Maryland to Missoula, Montana... Sometime in the next 30 days. When I bought my first press almost 10 years ago, it too came from Maryland and I paid 800 split with seller to move the 1200 lb vandercook by freight... That was a good deal all around.
        >
        > Advice, comments... ridicule ... Graciously Accepted!
        >
        > Best Taylor

      • Rod
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2013
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "taybarrett" <taylor@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > It has been a number of years since I have posted here. But alas I find myself in deep once again!.. Story of my life really!
          >
          > Yesterday I purchased a Jet 750 Plate maker on EBay... Yikes! I just couldn't resist. I am so excited to have the freedom/knowledge that comes with it even if there are trials along the way. I do not yet have an imagesetting system and was thinking I'd start using inkjet film as I have an Epson 1280 that I think will work. Has anyone experimented with plates from the xerox phaser 7800? (I have read the previous thread on this but any updated info would be greatly appreciated.)

          Taylor, we use liquid photopolymer in my print shop and have
          excellent results using Babs inkjet film.

          In our use, the Babs negatives rival what we get from our
          process camera. We have had good luck with a continuous ink
          system that makes ink cost insignificant.

          If you'd like to see another use for photopolymer, other than
          letterpress printing plates,
          <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FedvcdgFH5o>

          Enjoy your new toy

          Rod Grantham

          > But to the issue closest at hand... Does anyone have any shipping suggestions? or is interested in taking a road trip? I need to get said item from Maryland to Missoula, Montana... Sometime in the next 30 days. When I bought my first press almost 10 years ago, it too came from Maryland and I paid 800 split with seller to move the 1200 lb vandercook by freight... That was a good deal all around.
          >
          > Advice, comments... ridicule ... Graciously Accepted!
          >
          > Best Taylor

        • Sandra Youngblood
          Message 4 of 11 , May 4, 2013
            Dear Taylor,

            When I bought my C&P Pilot from eBay, the seller was in Colorado and I needed it freighted to TX.  I did on line research and found this website: http://www.uship.com/find.  I posted the Pilot's dimensions, weight, pickup and delivery info, packing specifics (needed crating, etc.) and put it up for bid.  You can check the bidder's feedback and determine the best price accordingly.  My UShip transaction went flawlessly; the transporter kept in touch with me via cell phone every step. Definitely worth a shot.

            Best of luck to you.

            Sandra
          • Scott Rubel

                Message 7 of 11 , May 5, 2013
                  My experience with Freightquote.com is just the opposite. I have had excellent service from them. Often the problem is with the carrier and not the broker, as Freightquote does not operate the actual equipment but merely books the services as needed with various freight carriers.

                  Fritz

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 5, 2013
                    I did have good experiences with Freightquote a few times until they did this to me. What they did was quote me a commercial price and then charge me residential after the item had been delivered. I understand that this was probably carrier's fault originally, but it was Freightquote that should have stuck to their price.

                    When I checked on the address, there was no reason for it to be classified residential, even though it was technically in a residential district. There was a loading dock and forklift and room for the truck. No extra hassle for the carrier. On my end it was commercial as well.

                    When I tried to get refunded they would not budge. If there was something in the contract I signed that said the price could possibly go up $150, I could not find it, and they could not point it out.

                    Even though $150 was a big deal to me, it's amazing how little a repeat customer can be worth to a company.

                    So, Freightquote may be great most of the time, but they won't stand behind their quotes when they make a mistake. As rare as an error may be, that is just bad behavior for any kind of company.

                    --Scott

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 5, 2013
                      Well, my quote from Freightquote was not really helpful... 700 and they won't get it unless someone crates it. I am waiting for a quote from Freighters and Craters and have a listing on Uship. If I didn't have small children and the stationery show coming up in a 2 weeks I'd go get the darn thing myself. I also have a wonderful friend who does a lot of shipping she can get it to the public dock here in Missoula for 450 if again I can find someone to crate it for me. Does anyone know, do the wheels come off and or lock on the jet 750?

                      Thanks for all the comments thus far.. I am so antsy to try it out!

                      Hope you all are getting some of this amazing weather we are having... Finally!

                      Taylor

                      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Fritz Klinke" <nagraph@...> wrote:

                      > My experience with Freightquote.com is just the opposite. I have had excellent service from them. Often the problem is with the carrier and not the broker, as Freightquote does not operate the actual equipment but merely books the services as needed with various freight carriers.
                      >
                      > Fritz

                    • 95a7357b73616968701f9ec864195ac7
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 16, 2014
                        Dear Rod Grantham,

                        I'm new to PP processing for purposes of letterpress printing.

                        Could I ask:

                        1. Are you using a RIP to maximise results from your Epson printer?
                        2. You mentioned that there are multiple brands of inkjet transparencies. I noted that Valley Litho no longer sells Bab's Waterproof on ebay (only non waterproof is available). Is the non waterproof version OK? If not, would you suggest any other alternatives?
                        3. I understand you are using liquid PP. Do you think results be any different if I use PP Plate (typical letterpress PP eg. toyobo printight, abt 0.95-1.52mm thickness)?

                        I've been researching for quite a while, and am fast concluding that inkjet film is probably the best way to go (vs laser printing / laser engraving)

                        Thank you so much.

                        Jorge
                      • Silber MaiKätzchen
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 16, 2014
                          I like to use Agfa's Myraid II film in matte, available in the US from Xante I use a
                          Xante Platemaker 5 to print them, and the quality is fantastic. I use 2400 DPI resolution
                          for halftones and 1200 DPI for line and type.

                          Cost per 8.5"X11" matte neg/pos film $ 0.46,
                          Cost per 11"x17" matte neg/pos film $ 0.91
                          Cost per 11"x18.5" plate (A. B. Dick 360W) $ 1.36
                          Cost per 13.875"x19.375" plate (A. B. Dick 9800 series) $ 1.77

                          See: http://www.xante.com/

                          Note 1: Myraid film will not play nice with the Xante Platemaker 6
                          Note 2: The Xante Platemeker 6 is a &#% %*@# piece of merda vaffunculu. (Hearsay testimony
                          from user.)

                          Combined with the Epson 10000xl scanner, Quark Xpress and Photoshop you can
                          image anything.

                          MaiKätzchen

                          Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
                          Carpe diem!