Re: Pagelayout Software

    Message 1 of 50 , Mar 31, 2003
      Mark

      A couple of things. A few folks have suggested that the ability to
      reverse images may be a function of the laser printer. This may be
      correct but I believe your software program might need that capability
      as well. It's getting a bit messy out there as we are definitely going
      through a major transition in the digital industry.

      But a caution about word processing software. Most of these programs
      are not PostScript-based. You do need a page-layout program for
      typographic niceties such as kerning. If you are going to have your
      output as film negs from an imagesetter, you definitely need it. There
      are a number of tried and true programs out there. I like PageMaker
      and InDesign. There is also Quark (which I've never liked!!!). These
      are all available for both the PC and Mac platforms.

      Best thing to do is shop around on the web. If you are a student or
      have academic credentials of any sort, try Academicsuperstore.com. For
      a while, just a few months back, you could get the latest versions of
      Acrobat, InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator together for $399.

      Joel's information looks pretty good for what you are intending to do.

      If you are using a Mac... right here, right now... stay with classic (9.2.2) - rock solid.

      Gerald

      ...I would like to
      > try digital type using negatives made by the method described by
      > Joel Sherman on this list. As I have limited resources, I would like
      > to know if there is any economical pagemaking software available
      > that would be good for a beginner. I know there are several
      > excellent high end products but I think they are beyond my budget
      > and computer skills. One feature I know I need is the ability to
      > print reversed images on my laser printer. I cannot do that with the
      > word processing program I am using now. Any suggestions? Thanks for
      > your help.
      >
      > Mark Knudsen
      > The Elmwood Press
    • Katie Harper
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 23, 2003
        I just came from an all-day Adobe seminar. Many of the questions that have
        been bouncing around on this list were addressed, and I will try to dig
        through my notes to pass along the tips I learned. If you have a chance to
        see this dog and pony show from Adobe (it's free) I highly recommend it.
        It's useful not only to see what the newer technology can do, but to realize
        why they are building things the way they are, and how to utilize their
        software to increase productivity and efficiency for more fun and fewer
        headaches. Most of the day was devoted to In Design, which blows Quark and
        Pagemaker right out of the water in too many ways to mention.

        They also talked a lot about Acrobat 6 which is due out in May (still in
        beta they said) and yes, it will solve many of the problems that have
        plagued earlier versions and has way cool new features besides.

        Katie Harper