RE: [PPLetterpress] Re: Uneven ink on plate

  • Kevin Martin
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 17, 2013
      There is more than one "Stouffer scale". The company makes scales with different density ranges and also different density steps from one number to the next.

      -Kevin Martin
      the Papertrail Handmade Paper & Book Arts
      New Dundee, Ontario
      www.papertrail.ca

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 17, 2013
          Thanks to everybody for all the help with this problem! I now have lot's of drying techniques to try.

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <Megalonyx@...> wrote:

          > Gerald has a good point here. 18 is a very high point on the Stouffer scale, when 14-15 are the specifications for Toyobo K-series plates (at least in my old spec sheets). Sure it is a Stouffer scale and not a different type?
          > Then consider the image itself. What is shown is essentiually a reverse, which should be given a shorter exposure than whatever the "normal" exposure is to avoid filling.
          > To remove any surface moisture or debris, I don't use a sponge but rather wipe with a laundered cotton rag. bunched up as an etcher would do when wiping a plate with cheesecloth. Sometimes I do use compressed air but you may blow slick photopolymer onto the surface, and possibly blow over underexposed elements such as barrel-bodied lines and dots. A very careful wipe takes care of the surface, and the time spent in the dryer will shrink some of the non-image areas that were almost at printing height when still wet.
          > --Eric Holub, SF

        • Eric
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 18, 2013
            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Martin <kpmartin@...> wrote:

            > There is more than one "Stouffer scale". The company makes scales with different density ranges and also different density steps from one number to the next.

            The 21-step Platemaker's gray-scale has long been standard in commercial printing, and is what is sold by most suppliers of relief photopolymer plates. It is also what the manufacturer's specifications mean when they refer to Stouffer (they may also give values for other brands such as Dainippon etc.).
            --Eric Holub, SF