Cylinder carriage bearing adjustments

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2001
      PPL:

      I recently had an inquiry about cylinder carriage bearing adjustments
      on a Vandercook. While I am generally hesitant to give this
      information out because it can cause potential damage to a press, I
      have now written up what I think I know about it and placed the text
      at the groupsite

      in Files—>How-to—>Cylinder carriage bearing adjustments

      Bearing adjustments have become a more significant element in
      providing optimal press performance because of the growing use of
      photopolymer plates. This is crucial for even impression (balancing
      the base to the cylinder). Balancing impression is normally practiced
      as routine on iron platen presses but often ignored on cylinder
      presses, especially proofing presses. In part, this is because it is
      extremely difficult, in part, because we just assume the press is
      mechanically set, and in part, because cylinder misalignment was not
      as easily detected with a metal type form

      Unless you are very mechanically inclined and know what you are doing,
      however, cylinder carriage bearing adjustments are best left to a
      press mechanic (it is, however, highly recommended that this be done
      on a periodic basis). As a press ages, its moving parts wear, and they
      need to be readjusted (or replaced).

      At any rate, if anyone is interested enough to look at, and would
      comment on it or provide further suggestions, I would be most
      appreciative.