Community Print Center in Burlingame! Are you interested? San Francisco peninsula area ...

  • Steve Robison
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2013
      (Cross posted to several letterpress related lists and please feel free to forward it to anyone else you think might be interested)...

      A letterpress "Community Print Center" in Burlingame in the San Francisco peninsula area is a very real possibility...

      *** This is exciting news for those on or near the San Francisco peninsula who wish they had a letterpress print studio, but just don't have the space or money to accumulate large presses and equipment, or have the letterpress classes and community to support their growing interest in letterpress.

      After reading the summary details below, please contact me off-list for more info if you would like to be a part of this new community letterpress studio...

      A couple of years ago, I shared the idea of creating a not-for-profit "Community Print Center" which would be a studio space loaded with letterpress and other related printing equipment. People could join with a small monthly fee for unlimited 24/7 use of the space and equipment, with ntroductory and advanced classes in letterpress held there as well.

      Well, that opportunity is very close to reality in the new "Peninsula Museum of Art" studios building in Burlingame, California.  They have offered us a newly remodeled studio space for a very reasonable amount. We would be one of about 30 different artist studios in a wonderful new space.

      Initial equipment and supplies would include, but not be limited to, two 8x12 C&P platen presses, a Vandercook proof press, smaller hand lever presses, a composing area, banks of type cabinets and type cases, a large paper cutter, the usual accompaniment of composing sticks, chases, lockup furniture, quoins, galley cabinet and galleys, inks, an assortment of  paper, cleanup supplies, etc.

      The details are still being worked out, but for right now here are the membership fees that would give you  24/7 unlimited access to the studio space and equipment....

      To be founding members of the center, we are looking for a charter group of people who can commit $600 for one year (which works out to $50 per month).

      Once we reach a minimum number of charter members, we can open the doors to other members unable to commit for a full year.

      They can be "Monthly members" for a fee of $100 per month.

      We have also toyed with the idea of Weekly memberships of $50 per week, Daily memberships of $10 per day, or even Hourly memberships of $5 per hour, but those might be only for special workshops, introductory events or one time activities only.

      Just to show you how reasonable these rates are, I did some math, and the per hour rates for each main type of membership work out to the following (if you average around 4 hours per day in the studio):

      At the Annual membership rate it's only  $ 0.41 per hour (or even less if you stay longer than 4 hrs per day)

      At the Monthly membership rate it's only $ 0.83 per hour (or even less if you stay longer than 4 hrs per day)

      At the Weekly membership rate it's only $1.78 per hour (or even less if you stay longer than 4 hrs per day)

      At the Daily membership rate it's only $2.50 per hour (or even less if you stay longer than 4 hours per day)

      At the Hourly membership rate it's only $5.00/hour

      Equipment use and safety classes would be given free to all new members as a safety requirement before using the studio on your own. But after that, members would be given a code for a keypad to a security door lock and be able to use the facilities any time of the day or night.  Introductory and advanced classes in letterpress would also be held there during non-peak hours for additional but reasonable fees (probably around $50 for a day long class).

      If you're interested in this concept, and especially if you are interested in being a charter membership, please contact me "off list" and I'll add your name to the growing list of those who will help make the "Community Print Center" a reality.

      The contractors are putting the final touches on the building remodeling project as we speak, and some of the studio spaces in the building will begin to be occupied as soon as February.

      If   we are able to garner enough support and initial memberships, we will go ahead and sign an agreement with them, and begin moving our equipment into the studio too.

      So let me know if you are interested, and we can talk some more, I can answer your questions, and we can arrange for a tour of the facility too.

      Best wishes in letterpress,

      --Steve

      Steve Robison
      Community Print Center Coordinator
      Burlingame, California
      (about 15 miles south of San Francisco)
      <robisonsteve@...>

      also:

      The Robison Press
      Belmont, California
      (about 25 miles south of San Francisco and
      about mid-way between San Francisco and San Jose
      <robisonsteve@...>

      -- this message was sent by monks from the 14th century who calligraphically scribed each letter prior to the invention of moveable type