Re: [PPLetterpress] exposure time/worn out bulbs?

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 27, 2013
      Hi again

      Correction: Work Horse 5, not Rocket 5 (something else completely).

      Gerald

      On 1/27/13 4:44 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:
      > Wally
      >
      > Do a Google search with the terms bulbs and TL44d25/09n. There are a
      > number of suppliers.
      >
      > If your bulbs have a grayish-brown look to both ends, they are likely
      > on the wane. But that would indicate that the electrics, especially
      > the ballasts are okay. If very dark on one end, not so good.
      >
      > Did you check to make sure all the bulbs come on at once? or if there
      > is some staggering problem? You might want to redo the ballasts as
      > well. The Rocket 5 is an incredible ballast (and fairly low priced)
      > though you might be in for a major rewiring job.
      >
      > A long time ago, very early on, I think Harold Kyle mentioned that
      > Boxcar was supplying parts for Polimeros. Not sure if that is any
      > longer the case.
      >
      > Gerald
      >

      > On 1/27/13 4:20 PM, hersomwally wrote:
      >> I've finally gotten around to trying our Polimero A4 machine and I've
      >> got my first (of many i'm sure) question.
      >>
      >> I'm using 152sb plates and the info from boxcar says to expose for
      >> 2:30-4:00 minutes for a 17-18 on the 21 step scale.
      >>
      >> 4 minutes only got me to 13 on the scale, so I cranked it up to 7
      >> minutes and it still only got it up to 16 on the scale.
      >>
      >> Is this normal for my machine or does this mean my bulbs are worn out?
      >>
      >> The bulbs in the machine are tl44d25/09n which is a t8 20watt 18
      >> inch. I can't seem to locate any replacements in the US. any idea
      >> where to look? (I can't find it on atlanta light bulbs' site).
      >>
      >> Thanks,
      >>
      >> Wally

    • Scott Rubel
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 27, 2013
        I hope it's not ballasts. It took me a couple of hours to properly
        replace two of them a few years ago. The machine is simple (if it's
        like mine), but you still have to be careful and slow as you take it
        apart, or you could disconnect wires inadvertently. The more nimble
        your fingers, the better.

        <http://www.lightbulbdepot.com/category.asp?cat=Fluorescent&gclid=CJPM-fDqibUCFSaRPAod_jIA3w
        > has your bulb, but there are others if you google.

        --Scott

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 27, 2013
          Hi Scott

          The problem with ballasts is that if they start going on you, you likely
          need to replace the whole lot of them at once, as they too, like the
          bulbs, have an age limit.

          I was having a problem a long while back with my Orbital VIII. They were
          going like popcorn and worse, no longer made. A&V was pulling them from
          trade-ins and selling them for $$35-50 a pop, used, as is. I finally got
          tired of that and bit the bullet and rewired the whole board with the
          Work Horse 5s. Not exactly something I ever want to do again though.
          Amazingly, when I put the board back in, everything lit up like it was
          supposed to.

          Gerald

        • hersomwally
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 27, 2013
            I searched google with every variation of terms with that part number and could only find suppliers in Europe.

            The bulbs actually look pretty good. No discoloration to speak of. All the lights come on at the same time and almost instantly, so hopefully that means the ballasts are OK.

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Lange wrote:

            > Wally
            >
            > Do a Google search with the terms bulbs and TL44d25/09n. There are a
            > number of suppliers.
            >
            > If your bulbs have a grayish-brown look to both ends, they are likely on
            > the wane. But that would indicate that the electrics, especially the
            > ballasts are okay. If very dark on one end, not so good.
            >
            > Did you check to make sure all the bulbs come on at once? or if there is
            > some staggering problem? You might want to redo the ballasts as well.
            > The Rocket 5 is an incredible ballast (and fairly low priced) though you
            > might be in for a major rewiring job.
            >
            > A long time ago, very early on, I think Harold Kyle mentioned that
            > Boxcar was supplying parts for Polimeros. Not sure if that is any longer
            > the case.
            >
            > Gerald
            >

            > On 1/27/13 4:20 PM, hersomwally wrote:
            > > I've finally gotten around to trying our Polimero A4 machine and I've got my first (of many i'm sure) question.
            > >
            > > I'm using 152sb plates and the info from boxcar says to expose for 2:30-4:00 minutes for a 17-18 on the 21 step scale.
            > >
            > > 4 minutes only got me to 13 on the scale, so I cranked it up to 7 minutes and it still only got it up to 16 on the scale.
            > >
            > > Is this normal for my machine or does this mean my bulbs are worn out?
            > >
            > > The bulbs in the machine are tl44d25/09n which is a t8 20watt 18 inch. I can't seem to locate any replacements in the US. any idea where to look? (I can't find it on atlanta light bulbs' site).
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Wally

          • hersomwally
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 27, 2013
              Scott-

              I checked the link you sent and couldn't find the bulb there. They did have a 15 watt "black light" bulb that would fit and according to the graph emits light in the right range. I wonder if 15w vs. 20w would make a difference?

              -Wally

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rubel wrote:

              > I hope it's not ballasts. It took me a couple of hours to properly
              > replace two of them a few years ago. The machine is simple (if it's
              > like mine), but you still have to be careful and slow as you take it
              > apart, or you could disconnect wires inadvertently. The more nimble
              > your fingers, the better.
              >

              > has your bulb, but there are others if you google.
              >
              > --Scott
              >

              > On Jan 27, 2013, at 4:44 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:
              >
              > > Wally
              > >
              > > Do a Google search with the terms bulbs and TL44d25/09n. There are a
              > > number of suppliers.
              > >
              > > If your bulbs have a grayish-brown look to both ends, they are
              > > likely on
              > > the wane. But that would indicate that the electrics, especially the
              > > ballasts are okay. If very dark on one end, not so good.
              > >
              > > Did you check to make sure all the bulbs come on at once? or if
              > > there is
              > > some staggering problem? You might want to redo the ballasts as well.
              > > The Rocket 5 is an incredible ballast (and fairly low priced) though
              > > you
              > > might be in for a major rewiring job.
              > >
              > > A long time ago, very early on, I think Harold Kyle mentioned that
              > > Boxcar was supplying parts for Polimeros. Not sure if that is any
              > > longer
              > > the case.
              > >
              > > Gerald
              > >

              > > On 1/27/13 4:20 PM, hersomwally wrote:
              > >> I've finally gotten around to trying our Polimero A4 machine and
              > >> I've got my first (of many i'm sure) question.
              > >>
              > >> I'm using 152sb plates and the info from boxcar says to expose for
              > >> 2:30-4:00 minutes for a 17-18 on the 21 step scale.
              > >>
              > >> 4 minutes only got me to 13 on the scale, so I cranked it up to 7
              > >> minutes and it still only got it up to 16 on the scale.
              > >>
              > >> Is this normal for my machine or does this mean my bulbs are worn
              > >> out?
              > >>
              > >> The bulbs in the machine are tl44d25/09n which is a t8 20watt 18
              > >> inch. I can't seem to locate any replacements in the US. any idea
              > >> where to look? (I can't find it on atlanta light bulbs' site).
              > >>
              > >> Thanks,
              > >>
              > >> Wally

            • Scott Rubel
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 27, 2013
                Sorry about that. I had bought tubes here many years ago and when I
                googled, this company came up, and I didn't look further. I don't know
                how google brings it up when the code is not listed on their site.

                --Scott

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 27, 2013
                  Wally

                  Order from Europe. I have a side business where I am constantly ordering
                  from European countries: Spain, Italy, Poland, Germany, Ireland,
                  Hungary, Finland, Latvia, etc. (I avoid Russia!!!). Never had a problem
                  except for the transit wait.

                  Gerald

                  On 1/27/13 6:24 PM, hersomwally wrote:
                  > I searched google with every variation of terms with that part number and could only find suppliers in Europe.
                  >
                  > The bulbs actually look pretty good. No discoloration to speak of. All the lights come on at the same time and almost instantly, so hopefully that means the ballasts are OK.
                  >

                  > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Lange wrote:
                  >> Wally
                  >>
                  >> Do a Google search with the terms bulbs and TL44d25/09n. There are a
                  >> number of suppliers.
                  >>
                  >> If your bulbs have a grayish-brown look to both ends, they are likely on
                  >> the wane. But that would indicate that the electrics, especially the
                  >> ballasts are okay. If very dark on one end, not so good.
                  >>
                  >> Did you check to make sure all the bulbs come on at once? or if there is
                  >> some staggering problem? You might want to redo the ballasts as well.
                  >> The Rocket 5 is an incredible ballast (and fairly low priced) though you
                  >> might be in for a major rewiring job.
                  >>
                  >> A long time ago, very early on, I think Harold Kyle mentioned that
                  >> Boxcar was supplying parts for Polimeros. Not sure if that is any longer
                  >> the case.
                  >>
                  >> Gerald
                  >>

                  >> On 1/27/13 4:20 PM, hersomwally wrote:
                  >>> I've finally gotten around to trying our Polimero A4 machine and I've got my first (of many i'm sure) question.
                  >>>
                  >>> I'm using 152sb plates and the info from boxcar says to expose for 2:30-4:00 minutes for a 17-18 on the 21 step scale.
                  >>>
                  >>> 4 minutes only got me to 13 on the scale, so I cranked it up to 7 minutes and it still only got it up to 16 on the scale.
                  >>>
                  >>> Is this normal for my machine or does this mean my bulbs are worn out?
                  >>>
                  >>> The bulbs in the machine are tl44d25/09n which is a t8 20watt 18 inch. I can't seem to locate any replacements in the US. any idea where to look? (I can't find it on atlanta light bulbs' site).
                  >>>
                  >>> Thanks,
                  >>>
                  >>> Wally

                • Jonathan Jarvis
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 1, 2013
                    I use a god company called Pomeroy Press room Products in Uk  who supply parts for Pre-press platemakers, very good people to work with maybe they can help

                    Order from Europe. I have a side business where I am constantly ordering
                    from European countries: Spain, Italy, Poland, Germany, Ireland,
                    Hungary, Finland, Latvia, etc. (I avoid Russia!!!). Never had a problem
                    except for the transit wait.

                    Gerald

                    On 1/27/13 6:24 PM, hersomwally wrote:
                    > I searched google with every variation of terms with that part number and could only find suppliers in Europe.
                    >
                    > The bulbs actually look pretty good. No discoloration to speak of. All the lights come on at the same time and almost instantly, so hopefully that means the ballasts are OK.
                    >

                    > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Lange wrote:
                    >> Wally
                    >>
                    >> Do a Google search with the terms bulbs and TL44d25/09n. There are a
                    >> number of suppliers.
                    >>
                    >> If your bulbs have a grayish-brown look to both ends, they are likely on
                    >> the wane. But that would indicate that the electrics, especially the
                    >> ballasts are okay. If very dark on one end, not so good.
                    >>
                    >> Did you check to make sure all the bulbs come on at once? or if there is
                    >> some staggering problem? You might want to redo the ballasts as well.
                    >> The Rocket 5 is an incredible ballast (and fairly low priced) though you
                    >> might be in for a major rewiring job.
                    >>
                    >> A long time ago, very early on, I think Harold Kyle mentioned that
                    >> Boxcar was supplying parts for Polimeros. Not sure if that is any longer
                    >> the case.
                    >>
                    >> Gerald
                    >>

                    >> On 1/27/13 4:20 PM, hersomwally wrote:
                    >>> I've finally gotten around to trying our Polimero A4 machine and I've got my first (of many i'm sure) question.
                    >>>
                    >>> I'm using 152sb plates and the info from boxcar says to expose for 2:30-4:00 minutes for a 17-18 on the 21 step scale.
                    >>>
                    >>> 4 minutes only got me to 13 on the scale, so I cranked it up to 7 minutes and it still only got it up to 16 on the scale.
                    >>>
                    >>> Is this normal for my machine or does this mean my bulbs are worn out?
                    >>>
                    >>> The bulbs in the machine are tl44d25/09n which is a t8 20watt 18 inch. I can't seem to locate any replacements in the US. any idea where to look? (I can't find it on atlanta light bulbs' site).
                    >>>
                    >>> Thanks,
                    >>>
                    >>> Wally

                  • Jonathan Jarvis
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 1, 2013
                      good company..........!

                      I use a god company called Pomeroy Press room Products in Uk  who supply parts for Pre-press platemakers, very good people to work with maybe they can help

                      Order from Europe. I have a side business where I am constantly ordering
                      from European countries: Spain, Italy, Poland, Germany, Ireland,
                      Hungary, Finland, Latvia, etc. (I avoid Russia!!!). Never had a problem
                      except for the transit wait.

                      Gerald

                      On 1/27/13 6:24 PM, hersomwally wrote:
                      > I searched google with every variation of terms with that part number and could only find suppliers in Europe.
                      >
                      > The bulbs actually look pretty good. No discoloration to speak of. All the lights come on at the same time and almost instantly, so hopefully that means the ballasts are OK.
                      >

                      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Lange wrote:
                      >> Wally
                      >>
                      >> Do a Google search with the terms bulbs and TL44d25/09n. There are a
                      >> number of suppliers.
                      >>
                      >> If your bulbs have a grayish-brown look to both ends, they are likely on
                      >> the wane. But that would indicate that the electrics, especially the
                      >> ballasts are okay. If very dark on one end, not so good.
                      >>
                      >> Did you check to make sure all the bulbs come on at once? or if there is
                      >> some staggering problem? You might want to redo the ballasts as well.
                      >> The Rocket 5 is an incredible ballast (and fairly low priced) though you
                      >> might be in for a major rewiring job.
                      >>
                      >> A long time ago, very early on, I think Harold Kyle mentioned that
                      >> Boxcar was supplying parts for Polimeros. Not sure if that is any longer
                      >> the case.
                      >>
                      >> Gerald
                      >>

                      >> On 1/27/13 4:20 PM, hersomwally wrote:
                      >>> I've finally gotten around to trying our Polimero A4 machine and I've got my first (of many i'm sure) question.
                      >>>
                      >>> I'm using 152sb plates and the info from boxcar says to expose for 2:30-4:00 minutes for a 17-18 on the 21 step scale.
                      >>>
                      >>> 4 minutes only got me to 13 on the scale, so I cranked it up to 7 minutes and it still only got it up to 16 on the scale.
                      >>>
                      >>> Is this normal for my machine or does this mean my bulbs are worn out?
                      >>>
                      >>> The bulbs in the machine are tl44d25/09n which is a t8 20watt 18 inch. I can't seem to locate any replacements in the US. any idea where to look? (I can't find it on atlanta light bulbs' site).
                      >>>
                      >>> Thanks,
                      >>>
                      >>> Wally

                    • Mª Dolores Jiménez Mondragón
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 1, 2013

                        Somebody can give us details about a Spanish seller of bulbs for platemakers?

                        Thank you and regards,

                        Lola