Pagelayout Software

  • mknudsenatjps
    Message 1 of 50 , Mar 30, 2003
      I have just printed my first job with an "inhouse" photopolymer
      plate produced on homemade equipment. I am really pleased with the
      results. However, the negative was made by others. I would like to
      try digital type using negatives made by the method described by
      Joel Sherman on this list. As I have limited resources, I would like
      to know if there is any economical pagemaking software available
      that would be good for a beginner. I know there are several
      excellent high end products but I think they are beyond my budget
      and computer skills. One feature I know I need is the ability to
      print reversed images on my laser printer. I cannot do that with the
      word processing program I am using now. Any suggestions? Thanks for
      your help.

      Mark Knudsen
      The Elmwood Press
    • Katie Harper
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 23 3:02 PM
        I just came from an all-day Adobe seminar. Many of the questions that have
        been bouncing around on this list were addressed, and I will try to dig
        through my notes to pass along the tips I learned. If you have a chance to
        see this dog and pony show from Adobe (it's free) I highly recommend it.
        It's useful not only to see what the newer technology can do, but to realize
        why they are building things the way they are, and how to utilize their
        software to increase productivity and efficiency for more fun and fewer
        headaches. Most of the day was devoted to In Design, which blows Quark and
        Pagemaker right out of the water in too many ways to mention.

        They also talked a lot about Acrobat 6 which is due out in May (still in
        beta they said) and yes, it will solve many of the problems that have
        plagued earlier versions and has way cool new features besides.

        Katie Harper