Re: [PPLetterpress] Introduction to Letterpress Printing

  • Fritz Klinke
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2003
      There is plenty of new metal type available, from us and several other
      foundries. Unless you can locate a shop with a nice supply of used type that
      isn't beat to death, one of the pleasures of letterpress is setting and
      printing from the real thing. And we also sell and make plenty of
      photopolymer plates, so I think there is a use and balance for both in a
      shop.

      I just finished fonting new ATF 10 pt Garamond 460 italic last night and it
      is truly beautiful type. Virtually every letter has kerns, and each one was
      filed by hand by Theo Rehak after he cast the type. Not too long ago I had
      to rescue a job for an offset printer who had left off the title of the
      person on a business card--and it was set in the 10 pt Garamond Italic. From
      setting the one line to being on press was about 10 minutes, and it was so
      easy to do something like that with type. But on something else,
      photopolymer makes a lot of sense as well.

      Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
      1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
      Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
      970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127