Fwd: Paul Moxon | Vandercook Workshops at SFCB

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2012

      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject:Paul Moxon | Vandercook Workshops at SFCB
      Date:Thu, 27 Dec 2012 15:37:04 -0800
      From:Linda Marshall <linda@...>

      The San Francisco Center for the Book is pleased to present a series of events in January with visiting instructor and letterpress expert Paul Moxon. All events will take place at our new location at 375 Rhode Island Street in San Francisco. Visit our website at sfcb.org for more information or call us at 415 565 0545 (please note that over the Christmas Holiday our phones may be down as we transition to our new location)

      Please share with others in the community who print on Vandercook presses.

      Friday, January 18, 2013/ 6:00 - 8:00pm

      This presentation will outline a brief history of Vandercook & Sons, its key personnel and press models. It will also survey the shift from commercial prepress work to high quality edition work by fine press printers, book artists and boutique stationers.
      This evening promises to be a fascinating time for beginners and skilled letterpress printers alike.

      Proof Press Finesse
      January 17 and 19, 2013/ 9:30 - 5:30

      Developed for intermediate printers, this problem solving workshop will help improve the technical quality of your presswork. With a focus on production printing using proof presses we will closely examine the control of inking, cylinder packing, proper height of plates, form imposition, lockup and registration aids. By standardizing materials (as much as possible) we will do “minimum makeready” to achieve maximum results — just like Vandercook intended. Bravely bring examples of your worst printing to critique in class.

      Vandercook Maintenance
      January 19 and 20, 2013/ 9:30 - 5:30

      In this two-day workshop, with visiting instructor and letterpress expert Paul Moxon, participants will learn all the points of maintenance, cleaning and lubrication so as to be prepared for potential problems and make or direct repairs.

      About Paul Moxon
      Paul Moxon is a studio letterpress printer; internationally known workshop instructor and author of Vandercook Presses: Maintenance, History and Resources. He is editor of the American Printing History Association Newsletter, printsfor hire and publishes limited edition books and broadsides under the imprint Fameorshame Press. This work is included in several public and private collections.