Re: Hebrew typesetting

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 16, 2012
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Edgar Weber <elweber@...> wrote:

      > If Golgonooza Letter Foundry is still around you might ask them.

      Dan Carr of Golgonooza died in the last year or so, a huge loss to typography. He was one of the few remaining trained punchcutters.
      --Eric Holub, SF
    • Norman McKnight
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 16, 2012

        M:onroe Postman of P’Nye Press had Hebrew mats, & Chris Chen cast from them for Monroe’s use; after

        Monroe’s passing they were given to Mark Knudsen to take to the ATF Conference in Portland for sale,

        but there were apparently no takers, as there are not so many who are willing or able to cast their own

        types let alone Hebrew. These matrices may still be available & if you write off the List I will supply the

        contact email. I don’t know what the face was, perhaps 12 point David from the Jerusalem Typefoundry,

        although Monotype. I gave Monroe a printer’s manual in Hebrew which had a lot of information which

        was unavailable to either of us (Monroe’s Hebrew was limited to chanting, & mine is none existent). It

        probably had specimen showings, but I don’t recall.

        Norman McKnight

        Philoxenia Press, Berkeley

        www.ephimeros.tumblr.com

        www.taxidromikon.tumblr.com

      • Yehuda Miklaf
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 16, 2012

          The answer seems to be both. The fonts that I saw at Yoel Solomon’s grandson’s shop were huge cases with all the variations, vowels attached. The same with the cases that Ido Agassi has. However, when we set other sizes we use Monotype vowels (which were cast separately) with the foundry type. Labour intensive but do-able.

          Dale Type Guild has my Hebrew mats but as far as I know Theo has never cast from them. They were rescued from the ATF auction and they are rather uninteresting faces more suitable for American Yiddish than modern or ancient Hebrew.

          Yehuda Miklaf

          fritzmiklaf@...

          www.yehudamiklaf.com

        • Ph. D.
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 16, 2012
            I doubt the matrices are for the David typeface, as that face was only issued as mats
            by Intertype Corporation for slug casting. Ismar David designed a family of three
            variations, each in three weights, but only the regular with italic and regular with
            bold were issued by Intertype. (I believe Yehuda Miklaf has some David foundry
            type which was cast from Intertype mats.)

            --Ph. D.

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 16, 2012

              The Hebrew mats that went to Portland were sold; they were Linotype matrices. The Hebrew mats cast by Chris Chen are

              of  unknown whereabouts at present. I will query him when I see him at Chinese New Year; the mats he cast at Monroe

              Postman’s place were a commissioned casting I understand & not for Monroe himself. It would be interesting to get some

              kind of census of Hebrew & other non-roman matrices held by type casters. There was a press in upstate New York called

              Pars Rimonem (not certain of the spelling here); it advertised in Fine Print a couple of times & then disappeared from the

              planet. They did exquisite work using fine Hebrew types. I never knew who it was or where they went, & I have never seen

              their only book (I think only one) offered anywhere.

              Norman

            • Bill
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 16, 2012

                You are referring to Pardes Rimonim Press of Woodmere, New York.  They did a 14 page illustrated folio of Song of Songs in Hebrew. And they have disappeared.

                Bill
                Big Wheel Press

                Sent from my iPad
              • Stephen Lubell
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 17, 2012

                  Thanks to everyone who replied to my message re Hebrew casting. I will reply separately.

                  Stephen Lubell

                  31B Clarence Road

                  London N22 8PG

                  0208 888 7567

                  Slubell@...

                • Eric
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 17, 2012
                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Norman McKnight" <philoxenia@...> wrote:

                    > The Hebrew mats cast by Chris Chen are of unknown whereabouts at present.

                    Chris left some of this at my shop. Some is cast on 36 point body, some on 30, No diacriticals.
                    --Eric Holub, SF
                  • Yehuda Miklaf
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 18, 2012

                      The David Hebrew that I have was cast from the mats at the Jerusalem Type Foundry. I rescued the mats when the foundry gave its last gasp and everything is now at the National Library. I borrowed the two sets of David mats and had some type cast at Wagner Ingolstadt when it still operated.

                      I think there are some mats at the Print Museum in Leipzig. I saw some Hebrew type there and assumed that they cast it.

                      I also have inherited the set of David that Ismar David had cast from the Intertype mats for his part in the Liber Librorum. He gave it to Erich and Lili Wronker of Ron Press and Lili gave it to me.

                      -Yehuda

                      Yehuda Miklaf

                      fritzmiklaf@...

                      www.yehudamiklaf.com