Letterpress Apprenticeship description & fundraising campaign

  • Robin Price
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 21, 2012

      Dear PPLers: I want to let you know about what's happening at the press, and to ask for your help (with awareness of recent discussion on this list about crowdfunding). After 28 years in the field, I've redefined how I want to teach an apprentice, making the experience as much of a broad-based educational opportunity as possible. For more info (condensed in the 2.5 min video) & to help support: http://www.indiegogo.com/letpress-apprentice?c=home&a=1147117

      An eager & talented young woman is my new apprentice, and, in addition to passing on rare skills of our letterpress craft (and other book arts related skills), my obligation is to be her mentor; teach as much as I can about everything from taking an idea and making it into art to how to run a small business; and help her make connections in the book arts community by attending conferences, workshops, and book fairs together. The apprenticeship is modeled after my own highly valuable experience of working for and learning from Gerald Lange at the USC Fine Arts Press in the late 1980s-early 1990s. That experience, however, was funded by my university staff salary; for my new apprentice I am depending on grants and crowdfunding-style fundraising to cover her modest stipend and her educational travel costs & conference fees. The CODEX Foundation has blessed this project by agreeing to be the fiscal sponsor, so donations can be TAX-DEDUCTIBLE. Our facebook page will further describe and show what we’re doing: http://www.facebook.com/LetterpressApprenticeship.

      I appreciate your checking out the campaign, and spreading the word to your friends and colleagues. To my knowledge, this is the first kickstarter-like campaign to fund an apprenticeship in the book arts, and I hope the project generates discussion about apprenticeships, how different people approach them, fund them, etc.

      Thank you for your consideration,
      Robin

      Robin Price, Printer & Publisher
      Now through 21 November 2012: Letterpress Apprenticeship fundraising appeal http://www.indiegogo.com/letpress-apprentice?a=1147117
      http://www.robinpricepublisher.com/

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 21, 2012
        Hi Robin

        We did a Kickstarter earlier this year for a small grant which enabled my summer apprentice to follow through a project.
        It's not as ambitious as your extended apprenticeship, but we were very pleased to exceed the modest funding that we'd asked for!

        Best wishes and good luck!

        Peter

        Peter Fraterdeus
        Exquisite letterpress takes time™
        tweet: @slowprint

        IdeasWords : Idea Swords
        Communication Strategy
        Semiotx.com  @ideaswords

        Design for Letterpress: Get the most out of your High-Touch Project!
        Free Webinar, Dates to be announced! Follow us on Twitter @slowprint

        On 21 Oct 2012, at 9:47 AM, Robin Price wrote:

[...]

        <campaign-collage-2-alt.jpeg>